Chapter 10 - Caltech

A/N - This chapter makes far more sense if you watch season 6 episode 23 (crying out loud), as it's heavily based on it.

F/S - Favourite Subject

After the museum "date", that actually ended up being the furthest thing from a date, and the horrifically painful incident at the race track, you decided then and there to just drop it. Alex would never like you back, and you were only hurting yourself trying to get her to like you. Only a fool continues trying the same thing and expecting different results.

So, not long after that failure of a day, you both received you acceptance letters from your colleges. You spent most of your time in your room, alone, crying and trying to get over Alex. You hadn't spent time with her since that day, and other than the occasional reply text, you hadn't spoken either. 

That was, until Alex received her Caltech acceptance letter, and she invited you over. And although you initially declined, she can be quite pushy when she needs to be, so over you went. Not before showering, putting on fresh clothes, and making yourself look generally presentable.

Honestly, you expected to not even be able to handle seeing her, but after 5 minutes, you remembered why, even if you couldn't have her love, you needed her in your life. If you were a jigsaw puzzle, she would be the final piece you needed to feel complete. The sun to your moon, the summer to your winter, and both the dagger and the blood to your heart. 

The two of you had a rather lengthy discussion about what college to go for, and you both decided on Caltech. I mean, it was perfect for Alex, Caltech was a science specialist college, and it was perfect for you because, even though it wasn't specialist, they still had an incredible course for F/S.

The issue was, roommates. You were allowed to pick one roommate for your stay at Caltech, and although you had your heart set on rooming with Alex, she seemed unsure.

Regardless, today was senior ditch day! Amazing, right? Except for the fact Alex refused to ditch. You were stood in the kitchen with her arguing,
"Alex, seriously? I'm not going on senior ditch day, let's just have some fun!"
"No. The library's going to be quiet today." She replied, little emotion in her voice.
"Why does that matter? It almost always is anyway cause the library's for nerds like you." You huffed.
"You say that like you don't come with me every time." She sniggered to herself.
"Whateverrr! Still, why do you wanna go to the library so bad?" You questioned, genuinely puzzled.
"Doesn't matter. I just do." She retorted.
Haley walked into the kitchen.
"Haley," You called her over, "Alex wants to go to school on ditch day. Talk some sense into her, please."
"Oh my god. You cannot go on senior ditch day!" Hayley facepalmed and shook her head in disapproval.
"See!" You gestured to Hayley.
"I need to go to the library!" She shouted, throwing her hands up in the air, something she always did to indicate she was done talking.
Before she could protest more, Phil stormed in,
"Girls, come on, get in the car. Luke's in hospital!"
"Oh my god, what happened?" Alex asked, panic lacing her voice.
"He collapsed at school," Phil informed you all, "Y/N, you too! Come on!"
You quickly followed after them. You and Luke were bros, you needed to make sure he was okay!

That was until you got in there car and soon realised it was a trick to get Alex to ditch. You weren't even mad, you just laughed along with them. Luke, Haley and Phil even chanted "Ditch day! Ditch day!" over and over again for 15 minutes, and, of course, you had to join in.

Alex didn't seem pleased, but you were having fun, and you were sure she'd lighten up soon. Then, Phil pulled over next to some kind of abandoned move theatre. Confused, you all trickled out the car and followed him as he approached the dilapidated kiosk and began looking around.

He quickly revealed that he'd built some of it himself, which honestly impressed you. He was absolutely set in getting in there, although Alex was staunchly against it. 
"I built this baby, I know all of her strengths," He approached the door handles, "And weaknesses!" 
He yanked at the door, but to no avail.
You laughed a little, before spotting a nearby brick, grabbing it and absolutely swinging at the door.
"Y/N! That is breaking and entering! My god!" Alex scolded you, clearly disapproving.
"Woah, N/N!" Phil exclaimed.
"Gentlemen first, Philly-D!" You opened the door, and gestured for him to enter first.
"This is why you're part of the family!" He shouted, excitement lacing his voice, and entered.

He showed you all around the place, and more specifically, a tile where the girls' footprints, and Luke's head shape, were outlined in concrete from when they were kids. Determined, he and Luke began to try and dig the tile out, whilst you, Alex and Haley sat out in the red, velvety theatre seats. 

"I dunno why you wanted to go to the library so bad, Alex, this is pretty entertaining." You mused, turning to her with a smile.
"It was going to be peaceful. I need peace to-" She cut herself off.
"To what? Finish your sentence." You insisted, now irritated by her being so weirdly secretive.
"To pick out my roommate!" She finally spat out, exclaiming.
"O-Oh, okay, I get it." You nodded.
"Sorry, Y/N. It's just that.. this is a new place, and I want new experiences, new people, y'know..?"
"Yeah, it's fine, I get it.." Again, you nodded in a feeble attempt to convince her it really was okay.
You moved a few seats over to sit by Haley, of whom seemed just as upset with Alex as you were. Though, just then, Phil found the light-switch and the thin sheet that initially hid the area behind the stage was now pretty much see-through. Him and Luke kept falling into things, getting stuck, and even accidentally burst a few water pipes due to digging in the wrong places. You, Haley and Alex were hysterical.
"I missed this, Alex." Haley said, turning to Alex.
"Me too." Alex moved seats to be closer to Haley.
"You'll still call me, won't you?" Haley asked, her voice wavering a little.
"Of course.. I'm gonna be at a school full of Alex's, I'm gonna need a Haley to balance them." She replied, smiling at Haley.
"Good.." Haley smiled back.
The three of you continued to watch the "show" for quite a while, until the pair eventually managed to get the tile, and not die, somehow.

It really was a sweet day, but you still feared the future. 

You knew letting go, at least a little, was the only option, but that didn't make it hurt any less.