Chapter 13 - The Grinch

So, a little while before Christmas, Haley drives back up to Caltech and picks you both up, driving you back to the Dunphy's. You all stay there for a couple of days, simply relaxing after the intense semester of work you'd both had, though granted, Alex still insisted on working on her coursework for at least 7 hours a day; much to your disapproval.

But, the few days at the Dunphy's sped by, and the two of you packed up once again in preparation to go to the cabin. You and Alex stood at the bottom of the stairwell, near the door, waiting for everyone to be ready. Claire walked past, haphazardly putting her jacket on whilst trying to talk on the phone,
"Listen, Marty, it's your hotel. But a walnut closet, your guests wanna hang their clothes; a particle closet, they wanna hang themselves."
You laughed, finding her bizarre joke funny, only to earn yourself an eye-roll from Alex who was, granted, now used to your love of bad jokes and puns, but could never get over you encouraging her parents to make them by laughing.
Haley groaned, "All this closet stuff is driving me nuts."
Luke nodded, sighing; clearly the closet talk had been an all-year-round treat that you and Alex had been oh-so-unlucky to have missed whilst being at Caltech.
"I wanna get annoyed, but it's hard when I feel this comfortable." Phil chimed in, grinning to himself and looking down at his brown, fur coat.
"Oh God, he's gonna talk about his new coat again." Alex sighed. Even in the small time frame the two of you had stayed at home, Alex had heard about Phil's new coat 27 times. And yes, she counted, because that's how cool, smart Caltech students spend their time.
"It's like getting a big warm hug from a mama sheep." He added, still smiling.
"That does sound pretty comfy, actually. Where'd you get it fr-" You were cut off by Alex slamming her hand over your mouth, and whisper-shouting in your ear,
"For the love of all that is worth living for, do not make him talk about his coat more than he has to!"
"Got it, sorry." Your words were muffled by her hand, but she got the message. And also some of your spit on her hand.
"Ew, seriously?" Her face soured, as she got a tissue out of her pocket to wipe it off.
"Oh, sorry I have saliva. I thought scientists were supposed to know about that." You teased, rolling your eyes.
"I know about cancer too, doesn't mean I want that either." She replied dryly.
"Alex!" You burst out into laughter.

After that, the six of you poured into the car, after putting your luggage in the boot, of course.

You sat next to Alex for the drive, and after not even ten minutes, she had already begun to complain about Christmas getting in the way of her schoolwork,
"I have so much lab work to get done this break.." 
"Yeahh, but it's Christmas! Take a day or two off, it'll be fine." You tried to reassure her.
"Never. I'd like to see Santa fix the Caltech robots." She retorted.
"So would I, but that's not the point. You need to rest sweetie!" Phil shouted from the front seat.
She sighed, "Ugh, whatever. If it were up to me, Christmas wouldn't even come this year." 
"Any chance you could sound more like a cartoon supervillain?" Luke joked.
"Yeahh, you sound just like that green guy from that movie!" Hayley exclaimed.
"Luigi?" Luke asked.
"No you idiot, that movie about the weird guy in that town!" Hayley spun her hand around, trying to solicit more answers from Luke. 
"The lorax?" He asked hesitantly.
"He's literally orange." Alex chimed in, clearly irritated by their silly conversation.
"The hulk!" He exclaimed, visibly sure in his answer.
That was until he was shot down very quickly by Hayley, "When did he ever want to destroy Christmas?"
"THE GRINCH! YOU MEAN THE GRINCH! You buffoons.." Alex shouted angrily.
"Ohh, that's it! We should change your name to the grinch!" Hayley said, laughing.
"Algrinch!" You joined in.
"I will literally jump out of the car window if you say that one more time." She threatened jokingly.
"Al-" She leaned closer to the window, "Kidding!" You shouted, holding your hands up in the air.

Throughout the drive, you all chatted about a number of things; from school, to tv, to even chanting the word "snow!" in excitement. For a very long car journey across state, it wasn't all that bad.