Caught

It takes me about fifteen minutes to run to Liam's house and I can barely breathe when I trot up the familiar driveway. My throat is hoarse and my heart hasn't slowed since I was flat on Derek's bed.

I see his car is parked in its usual spot and I am thankful that he's home. I know we haven't talked, but I feel like he'll help me calm down. My face burns from my tears and I wipe away any wetness. I re-pull up my hair and check my reflection in his side-view mirror. It's obvious I have been crying since my eyes are red and swollen. I'm in a baggy Supreme shirt, bare legs and tennis shoes with my hair half wet and curly, and am sunburned all over. I'm a mess both emotionally and physically.

I try not to think about my appearance as I catch my breath and move up towards the door. I don't even bother knocking since there is no other car in the driveway and I see Liam's bedroom light on. I just push on the heavy glass door and am glad when it opens. I try to get my breathing together as I slowly walk up the stairs. I see a sliver of light in the hallway coming from Liam's room and butterflies flood my stomach. I realize he has absolutely no clue I was coming and I'm just about to barge into his room unannounced. I pause before I rap my knuckles lightly on his door.

"Liam?" I call out as I push into his room, but then I freeze as I stand there in shock.

Harper is straddling Liam on his bed and has her face against his. His arms are at her shoulders and it looks like he's pushing against her instead of pulling her towards him. She's kissing him but his eyes are wide open. His eyes find mine and he instantly throws Harper off of him.

"Oh..." I whisper as he tries to get around her and over to me before she even realizes I'm standing there.

"Ellie, I can explain," he says panicking while I back away from them to start heading towards the front door. "Please! Hold on. Are you okay? Talk to me," Liam begs but I am already leaping down the staircase.

"Ellie?" I hear Harper say back in his room, suddenly figuring out I'm there.

"It's fine Liam, I'll be fine. You can do or kiss whoever you want. I'm not your girlfriend. Have fun with Harper. I should have rung the doorbell or tried calling. Oh wait, I have...I'm so sorry!" I ramble on breathlessly as I make it back to the foyer. I am about to reach the front door when the handle turns and the door opens, making me stop short. A busty woman walks into the foyer with brassy bleach blonde hair and bright tacky blue eye shadow bounces off her eyelids. She's decked out in rhinestones and her nails are long and covered in glitter.

"Who the hell are you?" She asks me as I stand there confused. She's lacking a Texan twang so I know she's not a local.

"Mom... I...I wasn't expecting you home," Liam stutters out, apparently just as confused as I am. This woman is Liam's mother? There is no resemblance. I spot Harper from the corner of my eye coming around the corner of the hallway and she pauses at the top of the stairs.

"What's going on?" Harper asks and then she catches Liam's mom standing in the foyer. She looks to Harper and then back to me.

"Liam, I think it's time for your little girlfriends to go home. There are some things we need to discuss," she says frowning. I dart past her and escape outside before she can say anything else. I notice a sleek silver Porsche is now parked next to Liam's car and I know what the driveway looks like when someone else is here. Harper is right behind me.

"Ellie, what are you doing here? How did you know where I was?" She asks me, still surprised by the sudden turn of events. "Where are your pants?" She adds but I ignore her as I walk down the driveway without looking back. I can't stop and talk to her right now or I might actually rip her hair out. I hear Liam seconds later with his keys in his hands but I don't turn to look at him.

"Do you need a ride, Ellie?" Harper calls out to me but I continue down the street.

"Nope! I'm good," I curtly shout back to her. I hear two car doors open as I pick up my feet and break into a jog back home. This has turned out to be one of the worst days of my life and I have no idea who I can confide in. 

I just broke up with my boyfriend, my best friend was just kissing my crush and I can't fully admit to Lily why my heart just broke into a thousand pieces.