Powder Puff

There are about twenty-five girls from each class huddled on the field when I make it down there and I see Harper standing with her hip popped in the center. The junior class girls normally play the senior class girls, but this year, they changed the rules so that the teams can be divided however the seniors want. Since everyone knows this game is going to be about Harper vs. Ellie, we have been chosen as team captains. I now know this is really going to get ugly.

All the girls get their jerseys the night before and come up with clever nicknames to write on the back. Last year Harper was Peanut, I was Butter and Lily was Jelly. This year since I have no one to team up with, I decided to be The Ellie-minator. Lily is Lily Pad and Harper used her middle name and decided to go as Amazing Grace.

Harper and I walk over to Mr. Helm to grab a box filled with neon-colored bandannas. I grab pink for my team and Harper grabs green for hers. All the girls line up on the side of the field and Harper and I stand in front with Mr. Helm between us. I win the coin toss so I immediately pick Lily. Harper glares at me before calling Micah, a brute volleyball player that has wide shoulders and large muscular arms. I go on to pick my next teammate and this continues until all the girls are finally called. As each girl is picked, Mr. Helm hands them each a colored flag to clip on around their waist and a coordinating bandana to tell the teams apart.

I am happy with my team with almost an even number of juniors and seniors and Harper looks pleased with her picks. We separate into our teams and practice strategies and plays until an audience surrounds the perimeters of the field. I see Liam with the same guys from the assembly and he shouts, "Let's go, Ellie!" which causes Harper to try to kill me with a murderous look.

Our teams stand on opposite sides of the field as we pick a team name. We come up with the Bodacious Blitzer's and Harper's team decides on The End Zone Divas. Harper and I meet in the middle and are forced to shake hands, which is apparently the worst thing Harper has ever been asked to do judging by the grimace on her face. Mr. Helm says since I won the first coin toss, Harper automatically wins the choice to have the ball. She announces that her team will start on offense and her team cheers behind her. We make our way back to our teams and the game begins.

Flags from our belts are pulled off left and right and no one is able to score by the end of the first quarter. We are all already panting in the sweltering heat and four of my girls have nasty grass stains across their knees and elbows. Harper knocks me over every chance she gets and at one point, got a penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct when she pulled my hair.

When the second quarter begins, we finally manage to zip past their defense and score. The crowd cheers along with our team and Caitlin spikes the football into the ground to celebrate. Unfortunately, the football bounces up from the ground and smacks a girl on Harper's team square in the face. She grabs her nose as blood gushes out and Caitlin is immediately pulled from the game. We all yell at Mr. Helm that it was an accident, but he pushes Caitlin onto the sidelines.

Harper's team is now awarded the ball but thankfully, isn't able to score. When half time finally comes, girls fall to the ground and lay panting in the grass. Liam walks over to me with a water bottle and I welcome the coolness in my hands.

"Harper is playing dirty," he says as I gulp down the water and I nod my head in agreement.

"I know. I'm trying to stay away from her," I pant barely being able to control my breathing.

"Well you guys are winning, so just let it stay that way," he encourages before taking the empty bottle away from me. He squeezes my hand and I hear the whistle blow. He makes his way back to the crowd as I turn and head for my team.