Scraped Knees, Sparkly Heels and a Party

By Friday, excitement is buzzing through the hallways as everyone counts down the minutes to the first football game of the season. The boys are all excited to finally wear their football jerseys and the girls squeeze into their cheer uniforms. The rest of the student body is a flood of navy and yellow, our Texan football spirit on full display. 

After my last class, I rush out of the school and meet the rest of the cheerleaders at Harper's house for a team dinner. When I arrive, girls are scattered around her living room styling each other's hair and securing large yellow bows to the ponytails. I plop down on the floor and Harper sits on the couch behind me, gathering sections of my hair to braid. 

"So who here is going to Piper's party tonight?" Harper questions and everyone breaks into conversation at once. It seems like everyone is going and making plans to meet up with the boy of their choosing. I knew Harper couldn't contain her excitement about going with Liam and she brags about it to anyone who will listen. I want everyone to know I am going with Liam so they know he's taken.

 "Liam's in my Spanish class," Brittany brags to Ashley who is sitting right across from her, "Mrs. Raine sat him right in front of me, so I get to stare at that gorgeous head of brown hair daily." Ashley laughs, "Has he ever said anything to you?" Brittany nods and Sarah instantly grabs her head to stop her from moving while she braids Brittany's hair. 

"Yeah, we had to pick partners to go over a section of our book. I don't even know why he is in that class. He pretty much speaks it fluently." Sarah ties off a section of Brittany's hair and stands to stretch her legs. 

"If I was fluent, I would take it. It's an easy A." Liam's class schedule stays the topic of conversation until the doorbell rings and I purposely stay quiet during that discussion. The pizza arrives and all the girls quickly spill into the kitchen, eager to get a hot slice. We are sitting around the table picking the meat off of the pizza, when Caitlin asks, "So Ellie, you spend a lot of time with Liam. What's he like?" Seems like all roads lead to the hot new kid tonight. Their eyes fall on me hungry for information. Harper puts her pizza down and stares at me as I reply, "Uh, he's nice I guess." Brittany scoffs and adds, "That's all you have to say? I saw him drive you out of the lot the other day. Where did you go?" I didn't mention that to Harper and I feel the beams of hatred coming from her eyes.

 "Oh yeah, I didn't feel good so he just drove me home." Unfortunately, Brittany doesn't let up. "Yeah, but I saw you walk back in together after second. Go out for a quickie?" She nudges me with her elbow and my face explodes with heat. It seems everyone has forgotten I am with Derek with the exception of a fuming Harper.

 "Uh no. I felt better and didn't want to miss more class so he brought me back. We just ate and hung out. Nothing too exciting," I reply as unenthusiastically as possible, even though I know Harper won't let this go. I know she is going to dwell on this new information. I can feel her rage so I add, "It's easy to be friends with Liam because I do have a boyfriend. There is no pressure, it's just hanging out." My buzzing phone forces me to leave the table and I'm relieved. I see a number I don't recognize, so I let it roll to voicemail. I wait for a minute to see if there's going to be a message and am surprised when I hear the ping. I hit play, expecting it to be a spam call, but I'm surprised to hear Liam's voice. I turn around to make sure Harper isn't around and then listen: Hey Ellie, It's Liam... Greysor...I didn't get the chance to ask you while we were at school today, but I was just wondering if you were still going to that party tonight? I'm down to do something else instead. I just don't think the party is a good idea after all. Umm... yeah okay just let me know. See you at the game I guess. Bye. 

That was odd. Why wouldn't he just ask me at the game? Or text me. How did he even get my number? I decide not to call him back since Harper could be lurking around, but am curious what made him change his tune. He was the one that convinced me to go. I walk back into the kitchen and back to the gossip.