Homecoming

Hours later, I arrive back home with my hair looking exactly like the magazine picture I brought with me. My hair is now elegantly pulled back with a few spiral curls framing my face. I decided to forgo the matching hairpiece when the stylist had a much prettier rhinestone headband that went better with the updo. My makeup is simple yet classy and the makeup artist added some shine to my face and neck so that I glimmer in the sunlight. My manicured nails also shimmer and I added a small gold line on my pinkie.

After my hair appointment, my mom and I decided to grab lunch and everyone in the small restaurant was talking about Ian. They continued to glance our way all through our meal, but neither my mom nor I added anything to the conversation. I know this event won't be dropped anytime soon.

On the way home from lunch, we stopped by a floral shop and I picked out a simple yellow rose boutonniere for Liam. When I finally make my way in through the garage door, I go straight to the fridge to drop the flower box inside.

Then, excitedly I make my way to my room to find my dress, the item that will pull the whole look together. I pull the garment bag out of my closet and flop it onto the bed. I unzip the bag and gently slide my dress out. It takes me a few minutes to get it slipped on and adjusted but when I am finished, I take myself in in the full-length mirror. My silver heels are just tall enough for the silky fabric to barely brush the floor and the bottom is cut so that the front is shorter than the back, revealing my heels. The thin yellow crystal-covered straps crisscross across my back and the sparkle of the beads matches my headband. I hear the doorbell ring and my heart leaps into my throat when I hear Liam's voice. I do one final glance in the mirror and slowly walk towards the staircase.

For dramatic effect, I walk slowly down the spiral stairs allowing Liam to take in the full view. When I reach the bottom, we are both wearing grins that reach our eyes and I see my corsage in his hand. It takes me a minute to fully take in how breath-taking Liam looks and I see him blush as I stare. His fitted black tuxedo with satin lapels and buttons flatters his toned chest and the slim fit pants show off his long legs. His sleek black bow-tie brings everything together and his dark hair has been freshly cut. It's now slicked over and he has never looked more gorgeous.

My mom is just as elated as I am when she runs back in with the box his boutonniere sits in. My dad even comes around the corner and shakes Liam's hand. When my dad's eyes finally fall on me, he smiles and softly says, "You look beautiful Ellie," before pulling me in for a hug.

My mom starts snapping pictures as Liam pulls out a beautiful corsage made with yellow gerbera daisies and tiny pink roses. After he slides it on my wrist, I can't help but smile. How did you know gerbera daisies were my favorite? He winks at me and I pin his boutonniere to his lapel.

How did you know roses were my favorite? He jokes and I slip him a small eye roll. My mom continues to snap pictures, not missing a second of the action and she then forces us to pose on the stairs. When my dad finally gets my mom to stop with the photo shoot, we manage to slip out the front door. My dad pulls Liam back and threatens to hurt him if anything else happens to me. A cute teenage boy is taking his daughter to a dance and he's a bit worried about what will happen after. I tug a pale Liam out the door and as always, he pulls open my car door.

We make the short trip to Lily's house and see everyone out on the front lawn with their parents taking pictures. Lily is with Adam, Derek is with the girl from our biology class, Kelsey, and Harper stands on the steps with her arms crossed when she sees me pull up with Liam. I was hoping after yesterday she'd be over Liam, but the bitterness is still splashed across her face. I was hoping to be with the Harper that is my best friend today and not the emotional roller coaster, clingy, crazy Harper.

There are four more couples that still haven't arrived yet and in the meantime, we join the group and snap pictures all over the lawn. We pair each other with different couples and friends and once another couple arrives, they quickly join the fun. Lily forces Harper and me to take a picture with her and we immediately split ways once it's over. I look to Lily and she too knows it's because of Harper's attitude and not mine.

Our black Hummer limo pulls up and we all excitedly climb in and take our seats. Ian and yesterday's events are the buzz around town, but no one mentions anything in the limo the entire drive to the restaurant. Even though many of them are thinking about finding the courage to ask us about it. 

Liam and I strategically place ourselves at the opposite end of Harper when we take our seats at the table. Derek sits at the head of the table far from us and Lily sits right next to me.

"Can you and Harper drop everything? You two were fine on the phone yesterday," she asks.

"Well yesterday, I failed to mention I was still in fact going to homecoming with Liam," I say and she rolls her eyes at me.

"It's all my fault really. I shouldn't have led her on. I tried to apologize to her, but she wouldn't accept it. I don't blame her, it was a dick thing to do," Liam says and both Lily and I stare at him.

"Yeah Liam, you really don't know Harper," Lily jokes and we both stare at her from down the table. She has a bored expression on her face and her hands are in her lap while she sits slouched over. She's never been dateless, so I know this is all new to her.

We get through dinner without any drama and wait for our limo to pull up to take us to the dance. We are all in high spirits while we drive toward the school, taking turns sticking out the roof's window and we all shout as we drive down the streets. I am standing out of the top with Lily and Kelsey when we drive up to the school and we wave like pageant queens as we make it to the front.  We quickly file out of the limo and make our way to the school's doors.

The theme is A Night in Paris so a large Eiffel Tower sits at the entrance to the door. Couples are stopped before entering to take photos in front of the iconic landmark. The photographer positions us in the typical dance pose with Liam behind me resting his hands on my hips and my hands are folded in front of me showing off my corsage. The lights flash and we are shuffled away by the next couple. I see Mr. Anderson taking tickets and he cautiously asks how we are doing. I admit I am a bit nervous to face everyone and he tells us to inform him if we're ever uncomfortable. He tears our tickets and then ushers us inside. 

The dance is held in the gym with refreshments right outside the doors. I walk under an archway made of up of plastic fluffy vines and see the transformation of the gym. There are twinkling lights everywhere with a large moon cut out hanging from a basketball hoop. Vintage street lamps and benches are scattered around and burgundy and silver fabric is draped around the room. The music is loud and people are already dancing so we try and slip in undetected. I feel hands on my waist and then Liam leans close to my ear and yells, "Let's dance."

I lead us to a dark corner of the dance floor as Lily and Adam follow, and Harper and Derek dart over to the opposite side of the gym. It's probably good we divided up the pack since we were definitely catching stares walking into the school. The main lighting is at the front of the stage so there isn't much illumination beyond it. Once I am comfortable in the shadows, I start swaying to the rhythm and I still feel Liam behind me. More girls from the cheer squad come over to check in on us and soon we have a large circle of cheerleaders, taking turns dancing crazy. It's nice to feel carefree for a few hours. I don't feel like I have the weight of the world on my shoulders anymore, I can just let loose and have fun with my friends.

We continue dancing as a group until the music dies down a while later. I see a nervous Mr. Anderson come on the stage with a small piece of paper folded up in his hands and a few people dart glances over to Lily and me. He grabs the microphone from the DJ and the spotlight falls on him. He clears his throat and the entire gymnasium is curious as to what he's going to say.