Caretaker

The next morning, I immediately roll over and check my phone. I had it glued to my hand all last night and still not one word from Liam. Disappointed, I continue to lie in bed and gaze at my ceiling while my mind wanders. I have known Liam for almost three weeks now and he has completely taken over my life. It almost freaks me out how fast everything has happened. I can't fully know a person in a few weeks and I can't expect to know him inside out. Maybe I just need to take a breather and slow things down. At least not pursue anything until after homecoming like my original plan.

My phone finally buzzes and I spring up to grab it. I am fully disappointed when I see the message is from Lily. 

Lily: Hey gurlll. Let's ride together to Derek's. I will meet at your house around 11:45 and you can approve my swimsuit choice! Maybe I can borrow your pretty sheer cover-up?! :))) Xoxo! 

Ugh, I forgot about the boating trip. However, this actually might work out in my favor. I have a whole day planned without Liam and without Harper talking about Liam.

Hoping to liven up my mood, I roll out of bed and start picking out my best tanning swimsuit. I see I only have about a half-hour until Lily comes over, so I prep quickly. I find my sheer cover-up for Lily and pull out my teal terrycloth cover-up that looks like a dress. I am applying highlighting spray to my hair when Lily busts through my door. She has on a red retro-style swimsuit that flaunts her curves and her blonde hair is down and wavy.

"Hey, Ellie! You look so cute!" She scans my black and white polka dot two-piece and grabs the cover-up that I tossed on my bed, "Thanks for letting me borrow this! Do you think Adam will like it?" I watch as she secures the cover-up around her shoulders and then turns in a full circle. I nod and give her an appraising look. I can tell she's eager to be around the boys today when I could care less. 

We trot downstairs and I wave to my mom as we walk out of my garage. We throw our towels and bags inside my tiny trunk and speed off towards Derek's. I don't know the last time just Lily and I hung out and I like the change. A judgmental, rowdy redhead isn't with us and I can feel the calming difference immediately.

When we pull up to Derek's house, I spot three other cars already in the driveway. Brandon is standing outside throwing things inside the boat and gives me a casual head nod when he catches us sliding out of my car. Brandon's personality is the exact opposite of Derek's, but their facial features are proof they are related.

"Hey Brandon, long time no see," I say as I swing my car door shut.

"Hey El, I know right? Today should be fun. Grab your stuff, we can all drive over in my car," Brandon says as he slides a massive Yeti cooler into the back of the boat. I see his big F-150 truck is already connected to the boat's trailer. Derek, Mike, Adam, Aaron, and who I assume are Brandon's friends suddenly yank the garage door open and pile out of the house and into the garage. There are ten of us total and I look back at Brandon's truck knowing we aren't all going to fit.

"I can just drive separately and meet you guys there," I offer, but Derek immediately protests.

"No it's fine, Adam is driving separately so half of us can go with him." I know that means Lily so I'm stuck riding with Derek. I try to refrain from frowning and he slides his warm palm down my arm before tugging on my hand to take me to Derek's truck. 

After a short drive across town, we get to the lake and the sun is high above us causing us to melt on the dock. Sweat forms at my hairline and my sunglasses slide down my nose while I watch them launch the boat off the dock. I debate bringing my phone with me, knowing Lily will spend all day posting everything on Instagram and I jealously wish Liam would see me out with Derek. Maybe it would get him to say something to me. Anything at all at this point.