Senioritis

The next morning, I walk into school exhausted from no sleep the night before. No matter how hard I tried, I could not get my brain to shut off. It kept me up throughout the night, asking questions about Liam's silent thoughts and showing me his perfect face with that stupid million-dollar smile. I tried so hard to not think of Liam, but thought of nothing else. When my alarm went off, it felt like I had only been asleep for ten minutes. 

I walk straight into my biology class and plop into the hard blue chair, putting my head down onto my crossed arms. I feel myself starting to dose off when the sound of a chair sliding across the tile startles me. 

"Good morning, Ellie!" Liam smiles as he pulls up next to me. I frown at myself for noticing the tight red crew neck that flatters his chest and I almost feel like I am cheating on Derek. I shouldn't be noticing how good Liam looks in his black skinny Levi's.

 "Well hello there, how are you today?" I ask before adding, "Actually, from how cheery you are this morning, I'm gonna guess you are doing alright." Liam cheerily pulls out a pen and notebook while ignoring my mood. Either he's an annoying morning person or he's already had his Redbull. 

"Doing well, and you? Well...besides being tired, that much is obvious," he replies before pointing to my frown. I pull my hands down my face and then start rubbing my temples.

 "Yeah, tired. Didn't sleep well," I mumble, apparently unable to use complete sentences. Last night I decided that even though I don't want to fawn over Liam like he wants, I can still be friendly with him. I don't mind the extra attention from him anyway. I hear Harper come in and she spots Liam right away.

 "Hey El! Who is this?" She coyly asks. She is grinning and trying so hard to be cute. She even flips her hair and bats her eyelashes. This might be my homecoming date Harper wishes.

 "Hi, I'm Liam. Just transferred here from Houston. Met Ellie yesterday," he says with a wave. And Ellie didn't tell me? Harper fumes. I forgot to call her yesterday after all of us decided to ditch the rest of the day. We just hung out at Derek's until I had to race home and beat my mom to the answering machine, before she could hear a message from my school informing my parents "that their student failed to appear for class." Harper closes her eyes and takes a deep breath in, already twitter-pated at Liam's smile. 

 "Oh well, I'm Harper, Ellie's best friend. If you need anyone to show you around or take you to all the cool spots around HP I am totally the one to help!" you with kissing. 

"Oh, well Ellie did a good job showing me the school yesterday, but yeah, maybe this weekend you can show me the town?" Liam asks with a shrug. It takes everything in Harper not to squeal with glee. She tries to look put together, but any second she could burst at the seams with excitement. 

"Yes, absolutely, I'd love to," she eagerly answers. I look to her massive grin and wonder if Liam is asking Harper out on a date? Or is this just a casual hangout with a new friend to explore Highland Park? I feel the need to investigate.

 "Wow, you're here two days and already have a date this weekend," I say with a little attitude. Harper is hoping I'm jealous but I refuse to give her the satisfaction. I add, "Maybe Derek and I can join you guys. Do a movie or something?" I see Harper deflate a little when Liam replies, "Yeah sounds fun. Maybe Friday?" Harper nods but I cut off her excitement.

 "Harper and I cheer Friday night for football, remember?" I glance to a forgetful Harper, "So it would have to be Saturday. But you should come down to the game, we usually do something after." 

"Do something after what?" Derek asks after I fail to notice him walk in. He sees that Liam is in his usual spot and stands there confused for a second. Harper notices too and pops out of her chair.