My Secret

We arrive back at school just as second period is ending. I didn't nap as I had planned to, but I enjoyed getting to know Liam more. We walk through the double doors and I catch Lily and Harper walking down the hall from gym class. It looks like they've both applied extra lipgloss and bronzer. Harper immediately spots Liam and rushes over to him.

 "Hey Liam!" she says brightly. Notice how good I look? She spots me next to him and frowns. I thought she went home sick? He gives Harper a short wave before giving me a nervous glance. I laugh and mouth, "I warned you." She is acting extra peppy, like she has had way too much caffeine. 

"So Liam, what's your third class? Can I walk you there?" So everyone can see me walking with you she eagerly asks, while tightly holding her binder to her chest. Anxious to hear his answer.

 "Uh, English actually, but I have it with Ellie so I can just follow her," he answers- I can actually feel him trying to dodge her eagerness. Lily cuts in, "Yeah Harper, Ellie showed him his classes yesterday so I'm sure he's figured it out." Harper needs to chill and back off. No one can just claim him, she just assumes he's into her. They are already competing for his attention. Harper already has a scheduled "date" so Lily is scrambling for anything to get him to notice her. I don't bother continuing to listen to her whispers since I know she's convinced herself Liam only asked out Harper because he met her first. Lily doesn't back down from Harper's aggression so easily and adds, "So we should do lunch? Meet here after class 'k?" She states it hardly as a question or an option. Liam will be having lunch with us regardless if he wants to or not. I pull on Liam's arm dragging him out of the weirdness and move him toward our English class. I glance back and catch Harper eyeing us. I wave her off and continue down the hall. 

We walk into class and I take my seat in the back. I hardly ever sit in the back because the Shakespeare posters, student projects and grammar charts that fill the classroom too easily distract me, but I went where Liam led. As soon as I drop my backpack onto the floor, I feel my phone buzz. I see a text from Lily and already have an idea of what it's going to say.

Lily: Harper is being extra, right?

 I glance up and Mrs. Nelson is passing out "Macbeth" paperbacks. I quickly type back. 

Me: Oh yeah. But it doesn't surprise me. 

 As everyone gets their notebooks out, I flip my phone over and grab the paperback from Mrs. Nelson. 

"Ah, I already read this at my old school so I'll ace all the tests," Liam jokes as he flips through the pages of the book. Hmm, one less book I'll have to read then. Liam pulls his head low and leans into me, "And don't expect me to give you any answers, cheater cheater." Shocked, I flick my head over to him and look straight into his vibrant blue eyes. He squints but doesn't break the contact. 

"Trust me, I do fine on my own. I won't need your help," I snap back. He grins and then sits back in his chair not adding anything to my response. He folds his arms across his lean chest and stretches his long legs out, ending any conversation. I don't know why I am suddenly so paranoid, but I feel like he knows I am a phony. But how? What made him say that to me? I want to probe him but Mrs. Nelson is now standing and facing the class, asking students to read paragraphs aloud. I pull out my notebook and flip to a blank page. I look to him but his focus is still on the front of the classroom. I pull out a pink shiny pen and scribble; You shouldn't believe everything you hear. I push the notebook over to him and he glances down. He waits for a moment before pulling out his pencil. I try not to peek at what he's writing but I whip the paper toward me once he's finished. What do you think I heard? He's not giving in so easily. I flit my eyes to his blank expression before writing, I don't know, but apparently, you hear all sorts of things about me. He glances down again but takes longer to respond.