Moments

"This is usually the time I would announce this year's king and queen winners," Mr. Anderson starts. "However, due to yesterday's events, we have decided to forgo that tradition this year." Murmurs float through the crowd and I look to Lily who shrugs her shoulders. After yesterday, I have lost all interest in who would have been queen this year. None of us deserve it.

Mr. Anderson continues, "This year we are going to take a moment to reflect. Let's look back on what we've accomplished during our time as high school students at Highland Park High. For some of you, this has only been a few weeks, others a few years. For most of you, I hope you are proud of what you've accomplished and for what you have done with your time spent here. Others are going to look back and feel disappointment and possibly regret. For all of you, I hope from here on out, you can fill your days with pride. Pride yourselves on helping others. Pride yourself on learning to be a better you. Make goals and promise to have a bright future. Let not only your time here, but also your peer's time at Highland Park be a positive one. I hope all of you have bright futures and leave this school feeling proud of yourselves. I want the king and queen of all dances to be a nominee that prides themselves on helping others and challenges themselves to be better everyday. That is who I want ruling this school. Until then, we will not crown anyone. We will now just make a promise to come together and dedicate ourselves on being better. Let's be better Highland Park. Let's be more encouraging and positive. Let everyone come and heal together after this tragic event. Seniors you only have a few more months left to leave your legacy behind, so decide what you want that to be. What will you be remembered for?"

I grab Lily's hand and she smiles at me. I know none of us want to be remembered as the bullies that almost got shot in the girl's locker room. I only have a few months to remind people that that's not who I am, nor who I want to be.

"Now everyone, enjoy homecoming, embrace the months or years you have left at Highland Park and encourage your peers to be better everyday. Enjoy the rest of the dance." Mr. Anderson's voice started to shake near the end but he managed to keep it together. He hands the microphone back to the DJ and there is silence throughout the gym. I know everyone is thinking about yesterday now. I know everyone can think of a time where they wished they had acted differently. Unfortunately, for five of us, our bad judgments were splashed across the newspaper.

Liam squeezes my hand and I swallow hard to fight back any unwelcome tears. The music starts up again as the DJ puts on a slow country song. Liam rests his hands on my hips and I reach up and settle my hands around his neck. We move in a slow circular pattern and my head rests on his chest.

"I want to actually go to Paris someday," he quietly says. I find his eyes and reply, "I do too. I would love to travel anywhere really." We make a full rotation and then with a more serious tone he says, "I think we should go."

"To Paris? Of course we should," I say and he stops moving.

"No Ellie, I'm serious, let's go. Let's get out of here. Go travel and see the world. I have the money to take us anywhere. We can graduate and just go." I digest his words as I break eye contact.

"Yeah, I mean let's go this summer, for a couple weeks...or something." I know this is not what he meant. I know he means to jump on a plane and take off into the sunset. But I have plans, I can't take time off and travel when I know I need to be in college come August. He lets me off the hook as he pulls me back into him and we go back to the circular pattern. When the song ends, he pulls us away from the crowd and leads me over to a bench.

"I'm realizing that I want to get away Ellie. I want you to come with me," he says while holding my hands.

"I'll go wherever you want as soon as high school is over. We have one more semester and then we can go. I can spend the whole summer anywhere," I answer. He runs his hands through his hair, loosening a few strands from the gel holding it together, and then flits his eyes back to me.