prologue

first time writing yay

~

"its not fair."

killer's inner voice cries inside of his void of a soul, an echo ringing throughout his soul and to his head, which was completely ignored. he only continued to grin, the black goo in his eyes trailing down to his cheek, and leaving a stain every trail.

slowly, but surely the voice disappears. as if it gave up it's last ounce of hope and completely leaving him empty. though his conciseness still there, some part wasn't, he felt.... like nothing, numb. this was supposed to be good news to him because this is what nightmare wanted. he should be satisfied that he's going to be satisfied, but he wasn't. he wasnt happy nor sad, angry, or anything.

but before he could think much more about it, the last bit of his soul shape had utterly glitched into a target-shaped soul, floating in front of his chest. indicating he's now incapable of thinking of anything else that's not benefiting nightmare.

now, he lived to serve.

~

nightmare only receives thrill from all of this. first, he watches killer drift away from his so-called best friend, and secondly he gets a servant of his own. his dirty doings were now off his hands, and now on killer's.

he's very happy about what he's done, he tore a bond and gets a servant, quite easily. of course, nothing less to expect from the infamous king of negativity. who says nightmare himself can't feel other emotions that isn't despair? the sadistic smile on his face says so otherwise. if dream can frown, he can grin.

"however..." nightmare's grin drops, seeming rather..unhappy. noticing killer glance at him as soon he said that, a bit of thrill made his spine shiver. "these aren't enough for my pleasure." nightmare leans sideways onto his hand, sighing in disappointment.

as nightmare predicted, a spark of concern for nightmare lights in killer, and bitterness lights from the others.

killer, with a slight concern in his manic expression, turns around to face and look at nightmare. "is there somethin' in mind that may be blocking that?" killer asks, politely yet still in a normal tone.

nightmare smirks mischievously, this was going well since he seemed happy. nightmare releases another long sigh, leaning in to another side, his eyelight meets with killer's black void sockets. "there is." he squints, continuing to speak. he extends an appendage, opening a box and moving out a cat from it, holding it from it's waist. nightmare watches killer patiently wait for his command, whilst looking at the appendage move. nightmare stares at the slight happiness from killer's eyes as he frowns a bit. nevertheless,

nightmare places the cat in front of killer, who stood confused yet happy. killer loved cats. his happiness dissipates with his grin until nightmare commands,

"I want you to kill it for me."

his soul started to glitch, again. little emotions started to come back in the process. killer is confused, baffled, terrified and startled. not even knowing he has one, his breathing started to hitch with his body trembling lightly. a clear trail started to merge with the black liquid, but the transparent trail too overpowering, it started to remove the stain on his face.

he expected blood from the demand, but not from the one he adores the most.

"come on," nightmare sneers, starting to get bored of this child play in front of him. "do it, killer."

killer, slowly and shakily reaches for his knife in the pocket of his jacket. feeling the handle, he gripped on it with all his durity. listening to the blade slide out he puts both his arms up with all his hands on the knife, aiming for where the cat's chest would be placed. soft sniffles started to emerge from him, looking at the cat straight into it's eyes as he keeps repeating to himself,

it's all for him. it's all for you.

he repeated it. again, and again and again. until it changes, slurring his words as all the images of his dark past showing in his mentality.

it's all for him. it's all for him.

with little thought about himself, killer hastily lunged onto the cat's body, puncturing it's skin to it's bones and organs. repeating this until the remaining blood of the cat begins to drip off the sharpest part of his knife; the tip. tears of utter despair bawls out from his sockets, dripping onto the animal corpse's wound whilst it fuses with blood.

killer's soul glitches it's current form into the old, normal one. he felt every ounce of fear, despair and anguish all at once just by watching it. the longer he cries and stares at the corpse, the more he seems nauseous. lightheaded and dizzy, he drops the knife besides his foot before vomiting black goo.

nightmare grinned, absorbing the emotions killer had poured out and all in this one murder. he inhales out of delight, a longer one than anticipated and exhales after. "oh, that was a great performance!" nightmare clasps his hands together, chuckling. he enjoys every bit of what just have happened.

"r- right." error scoffs. nightmare shoots a glare at him, then returning back to what's important.

"good job, killer!" nightmare beams, clapping loudly. the sound of his hands echoed throughout the quiet room before he crosses his arms, leaning back. "you passed the test." he says calmly.

killer, confused, his eyelights looks up. with bits of vomit and tears scattered while dripping beneath his mouth. "w... what?"

"you passed!" nightmare throws his hands up in the air, cheerfully. although he frowns again. "but... I'll only rate your performance a 89% grade."

he jerked his head upwards. he is angry, but not disrespectful, so in a desperate tone killer yells. "w-- what?! but i-"

"look down. i will decide when you look up." nightmare deadpans in a threatening manner. killer only obeys, panting. "you killed the cat, yes. but your only mistake is crying over a pathetic cat." nightmare mocks, trying to get onto his nerves.

killer is annoyed and enraged, but even so, he keeps his head down. "th- that cat was innocent! why was their death arranged? they didn't deserve that..." killer grits sadly, soul clenching in agony.

as he said to himself before,

it's not fair.

"tsk. everyone deserves to die, killer. no matter if it's innocent or not, everything has an end. you're doing them a favor by giving them death much more earlier than their destined deadline. compassionate emotions only get in the way of your journey." nightmare scoffs and frowns, slightly irritated. "this should serve as your first lesson. compassion is a burden. you've never received it, and you will never lend it to anyone."

nightmares tendril extends forward to killer's soul, sculpting it until it became 'fixed' again. all emotions drains out of killer, as his manic grin returns.

"never display weakness. got it?" nightmare clicked his 'tongue'. "stand up."

right.

picking his bloodied knife, he got back on his feet.

it'll never be fair.

"of course," killer chuckles. "boss."