Chapter 12

Isabelle walked towards the courtyard to meet Ron for the project. She was rather embarrassed by what happened yesterday, the events replaying in her mind. She knew that it wasn't anything to be ashamed of, but she did show weakness to a person she shouldn't have. That breakdown can eventually be used against her.

The courtyard was mostly empty, except Ron, who was sitting on a blanket, eating a chocolate frog. He was not looking towards her, so she snuck up on him.

"Hello, Weasley." She greeted him with an awkward smile. "How are you today?" She asked while sitting down across from him.

He swallowed the piece of chocolate he had in his mouth before responding. "I'm doing well." He stated. "How 'bout you?" His eyes filled with worry, Isabelle noticed this.

She tried to play it off coolly. "I am great." She confirmed, but even she didn't believe her words.

Ronald nodded, not trying to pry if she didn't want to speak of it. "So what do we need to do today?"

Isabelle pulled out some more books she found of their theme. "I read some more of the topic and found some more information that can be used for this. You can write what I tell you."

Ron agreed and pulled out his quill. She spoke slowly so he had time to write in a nice print, not the chicken scratch he usually did. He stared at her every once in a while, appreciating her work in the project that he knew he hadn't done much in.

They had done a page when a figure started walking towards them. Isabelle looked up when the person was close enough. It was Blaise.

"I'm sorry to interrupt, but I need to ask you something, Isabelle." Blaise said with an apologetic smile.

Isabelle got nervous, thinking that he needed her so urgently. "Is something wrong, Blaise?" Her voice wobbled.

He motioned for her to come to him. When she did, he bent down towards her ear. "Draco has not been seen since yesterday, not even Snape can find him. He is asking if you have seen him."

She stared at him, trying to hear correctly. "I have not seen him since I went to his room yesterday." She informed, trying to check if she did see him.

Blaise nodded. "That is all. Thank you, Belle." He said and started walking away.

When she turned towards Ron again, she had a goofy smile on her face. She tried to collect herself, but Blaise calling her 'Belle' had her all flustered. Ron rolled his eyes at her pink cheeks and happy expression.

"Don't let this project stop you from leaving with your boyfriend." Ron commented, wiping the smile from her face. "You can leave with him if you'd like."

Isabelle almost got whiplash from his change in mood. "I don't want to leave with Blaise, he was telling me something important. I don't understand your change in attitude. We were fine before."

"Yeah." Ron said under his breath. "That was a mistake, being nice to you." He hissed.

"I don't understand what changed, Ronald." She shook her head at the boy.

He scowled, but there was no hate in his stare, only confusion. "Nothing changed, I just think you guys deserve each other."

"Look, Ron, I don't know or care why your mood changes so quickly, but take it out on me. Don't bring Blaise into this because he doesn't have anything to do with this. And, for your information, we are not dating. But thank you for pairing me up with him, because he is a beautiful person."

Ron felt embarrassed, not knowing why he had that outburst. He could not register this new feeling he had inside him. It made his heart pang in his chest, it made him want to kill Blaise. He was almost ready to pick up his things and leave, but this project needed to be finished. He stared at Isabelle, who was so mad her breath was sporadic.

"I, um, don't know why I got so mad." Ron stared at the grass under them. "I apologize for my weird mood."

Isabelle shrugged, finally deciding to sit back down. "It's fine, Ron. I guess we all have bad days. Take me yesterday for example."

"So, are you going to explain to me what happened to you, because that seemed like a very intense panic attack." They were finally getting back in their groove; fighting and making up. "I don't mean to pry."

She shook her head in assurance that he wasn't overstepping. "I had an argument with Draco and he said something that made me realize where I fit in this whole wizarding world."

"And where's that?"

"Nowhere." Isabelle confessed. That word made sense in her mind. "I will never be accepted into the 'bad guys'." She made air quotes around that last part. "And I most definitely be a part of the good guys, so I am just in the middle. I don't know, maybe I sound crazy."

"No, I understand." Ron answered, his voice lower than normal. "And your family does not help in all that."

"Yeah." She bit her lip while looking at Ron. "I am nothing like my mother. I swear, Ronald. I would never hurt a soul."

Ron stayed quiet for a moment, making sure he had a good reply. "I don't think anyone actually believes you're like Bellatrix. At least Harry, Hermione and I don't."

"Thank you." Isabelle said simply, marking an awkward end to the conversation. Silence filled their space, they didn't know what else to say. "Well, I have to meet Pansy in about 10 minutes." She stood up packing her things and helping Ron put his things in order. They were both on their feet when she extended her hand out. "I can actually say that today has been almost fun, Weasley. See you later." They both walked away at the same time.

Isabelle knew now that he wasn't as horrible as she thought. The redheaded boy could be understanding and compassionate, you just have to get on his good side. He was a nice person, from what she could see. He should work on his prejudice, but apart from that he seems like a good friend. Not that Isabelle would ever be friends with a Gryffindor, and a blood traitor at that.

She didn't necessarily care for titles and blood-status, but the fear of letting her family down has her in a chokehold. The things her cousin said were still running around her head, and that terrified her. She would have to live her whole life scared of getting disowned from her family; that happened a lot.

Sirius Black and Andromeda were just two of the many people that have been burned from the family tree. Isabelle had her righteous place in that tree, having honor in it. She knew her family were not great people, but she still has pride in being part of the Black family.

That meant she was higher-rank than most of her classmates. She had the dark lord at just an arms reach. She didn't love that, yet the power was still there. A little mistake could be fatal to her or Draco. She knew she was under watch all the time by Voldemort or one of his followers.

She was an asset that the death eaters could use, but she has refused many times to become a part of that dark cult. She didn't want a side in this useless battle.