Chapter 13

Mel

I'm wrapped up in the warmth of my comforter, dreaming peacefully, when I feel the weight of someone crash down on the bed beside me. I start to groan when I hear the excited voice of the intruder.

Tay snuggles up next to me and shakes my shoulder. "Mellllll, time to wake uuuupp. We have a flight to catch soon. Come on, bestie, time to wake up."

I can't help but laugh at her excitement. We've all been looking forward to this day for a while. We're excited for several reasons, namely the upcoming nuptials between Lins and Chase, but also for the week afterward that we'll be relaxing in Aruba.

Those several days, lazing around in our swimsuits and enjoying the sandy paradise with our closest friends. Those days are the ones I can't stop thinking about. It's those that make my heart race and my breathing hitch. After what's been building between Liam and me, who knows what will happen on that beach.

I was dreaming of what could happen when my best friend invited herself into my room to wake me up. I'm not even mad, though. If I let myself get too carried away with my daydreams, I may not make it through the next few days. At least, not with my sanity intact.

Tay is still poking me excitedly as I hold my eyes shut. "Come on, Mel. We need to get ready. Paradise awaits!"

I'm about to respond as she starts poking me in the side. I squeal as she continues, knowing exactly where I'm most ticklish. I try to tell her she wins, but I can't through my laughter.

Our antics have drawn the attention of our lovely male counterparts. Liam and T.J. both peek in from the doorway, staring at what is transpiring thanks to an overenergized Taylor. Both men are trying to contain their amusement and failing.

As Taylor slows her attack, I find my words and direct them to the two new arrivals. "Um, a little help here, please."

T.J. is chuckling as he approaches. He easily pries his girlfriend off of me, tossing her over his shoulder. "Come on, babe. She can't get ready if you keep pestering her."

I hear Tay's yelp of surprise, followed by a muffled reply as T.J. carries her out of my room.

I sit up in bed, still laughing as I wipe away the tears that had fallen down my face. That's when I look up to see Liam still standing in my doorway. His face is relaxed as he studies me.

I look back at him, no longer feeling heavy under his stare like I used to. No, now having him look at me like this makes me feel... Different. It's not a bad different, just new, unfamiliar.

After another beat, he smiles. "Guess we should finish getting ready, huh?"

I feel my head bob in reply. "Yeah, guess we should."

Liam wets his lips, looking like he has more he wants to say, but instead of continuing, he gives me one more studious look before showing himself out and shutting the door behind him.

I let out a heavy breath, pondering the words unsaid as I climb out of bed.

What did he want to say?

Before I can start agonizing over the answer, I shake the thought from my head. I won't get anything done if I let myself fall down that wormhole.

I need to get ready.

After all, paradise awaits. And I can't wait to get there.

~

Several hours and what felt like a million steps later, we are finally on the plane. We met Chase and Lindsey at the airport and hung out with them until it was time to board.