Chapter 16

Liam

It's surreal to be here on this island in paradise, getting ready for my sister to marry my best friend. It's almost like a dream, looking around at this gorgeous location, knowing I'm surrounded by the most important people in my life.

I smile as a warm breeze blows across my face, drawing my attention to the people in front of me- one more than the rest. We're standing on the beach all lined up in our places, rehearsing what to do tomorrow for Chase and Lindsey's big day.

I look across from me at the woman who's been unknowingly stealing my attention all night. She looks beautiful, clothed in a flowing blue dress that caresses her curves every time the wind blows. Her hair softly dances with the breeze as she listens intently to what we're supposed to do next.

The smile on her face is genuine as she gazes upon the lovebirds, who are now grinning happily at each other, both excited to take the next step in their relationship. I look at the two of them, wishing I had a little more courage to go for what I wanted as those two had.

Chase knew he felt something for Lins the moment he saw her, and from what they've told me, it was the same for her. They were hesitant at first to take the leap because they didn't know how I would react. I can't help but feel bad about that. I know it was a shock to my system when they finally came clean to me about their relationship, but I got over it once I realized how perfect they are for each other.

They hesitated but eventually went for it. They braved the consequences and took a chance on something they both wanted, not knowing what the outcome would be. Chase and Lins were brave. Their feelings for one another outshined everything else.

If they hadn't been so courageous, if they had tamped down their feelings and avoided one another for my sake, they would have missed out on so much. They wouldn't be here today about to celebrate this huge milestone in their relationship. They would have missed out on so much. And I'm sure they both would have been miserable for it.

It makes me consider my own situation. Am I being too cautious? Is it possible that I'm about to ruin my chance at happiness because I'm scared to betray my friend?

As the rehearsal continues, these thoughts and a hundred others race through my mind. I start to ponder what I should do about Mel. There's a very fine line between throwing caution to the wind and making her feel uncomfortable. The latter is something I want to avoid at all costs.

I have a strong feeling that I have to be careful if and when I make my move. I may only get one shot at it, and if I proceed recklessly, I could very well lose any chance I have with her.

~

At dinner, I'm seated between Mel and Lindsey, who are gushing about the picturesque setting. Tay and T.J. are on the other side of Chase, talking with him about how excited they are for tomorrow. My parents are down at the other end, talking animatedly with Chase's parents.

They've become close since Chase and Lins announced their engagement. It's almost like watching an older version of me, Chase, Lins, and...

I look over at Mel, wondering again what I should do about my ever-growing feelings. She sees me looking and smiles. I can't help but match her expression, noting just how beautiful she looks.

A noise at the front of the restaurant steals my attention. Some of the guys from the team just arrived and made their way to the neighboring table. As they passed, each said their hellos and congratulations to the happy couple.

Once everyone had a seat, they all started chatting about the big day and how beautiful it is going to be. I returned my attention back to the woman on my right. She's reading through the menu, biting her bottom lip as she focuses on each page. She looks adorable- so deep in thought as she carefully decides what to order.

I can't help the chuckle that escapes my lips. Mel turns her attention to me. "What?"

She brings a hand to her face, swiping as if trying to clear away an imperfection. "Is there something on my face?"

I chuckle again, shaking my head. "No. It's not that."

She furrows her brows. "Then, what is it?"

My smile widens, and I have to look away. I switch my attention to the napkin on my lap. "You just look so cute when you're so focused on the menu like that."

Mel scoffs at my words. Then, she surprises me by swatting my arm as a light, but exasperated laugh leaves her mouth.

I flinch back slightly in amusement, feigning injury. "Ow! Hey, now, don't hurt me, muscles. Put your big guns away."

Mel's laugh is melodic as she shoves me gently. It's loud enough in here now that most in attendance don't notice our interaction. Though, our antics have drawn the eyes of a few guests close by.

I look up to see Chase and Lindsey laughing along with Mel, enjoying the tableside entertainment. Then, I glance over at Tay. I see her smiling behind her glass of water as she watches the two of us. My eyes shift away from her as she gives me a knowing look.

I meet T.J.'s curious stare as he shifts his eyes back and forth between Mel and me. It's almost as if a lightbulb has flicked in his mind as he turns from us to Tay. He gives her shoulder a tap before leaning in, whispering something in her ear.

She looks back at him and nods. Before my next thought can process, she's staring at me from across the table. A kind smile forms on her lips as she bobs her head before quickly flitting her eyes toward Mel.

I look away, only to find T.J. lifting his glass to his lips. He sees me and pauses. His lips curl up as he ever so slightly tips his glass my way before taking a sip.

I exhale the breath I'd been holding. T.J. noticed. He knows about my feelings for Mel. He's been so unobservant up until now; how in the world can he know and Mel doesn't?

Unless...

I turn back to Mel, who is already watching me. Her eyes are soft and bright. Her smile slowly changes as her lip is taken captive, once again by her mouth as she shyly turns away from me.

Does she know?

Does she feel the same about me?

My mind is racing as new possibilities creep into my head. New, exciting possibilities. Things like taking Mel out on a real date, holding her, kissing her, making her mine.

The thought makes me beam inside. It's like a glowing warmth is spreading through my body.

Though, I don't know for sure if she feels the same. That's something I need to figure out, and soon. If my gut is right, then I may have a good chance at starting something beautiful with Mel, and soon.

There's only one thing left to do...

I have to talk to Mel about this. I have to find out if she feels the same. And I need to do it before we leave the island.