Chapter 45 | Alliance

GRETA

"Where am I?"

A man in a black tunic faces me. His face is hidden behind a veil.

"Safe."

He moves the dark cloth to the side. My heart skips seeing his tender closed-lip smile. He looks very tired.

"Where am I?" I repeat.

"Our home. Don't you remember?"

"No."

I am caught off-guard by his kiss.

"We have returned to Eyu, my Empress. You almost died. Do you remember what happened?"

"Yes...I do. What happened to me? I...I...killed myself."

"You almost were successful."

"I wish I was," I whisper with new fear. What has Brommy been doing with me? Why am I alone with him? "I do not belong here. I belong in Elysium!"

I do not like his new emotionless gaze. He kisses the palm of my hand slowly, I try not to recoil.

"You had no idea you were carrying my child. You almost killed her too-"

"What? No...no!"

"Yes," he answers lightly.

He turns over and lifts up a small child. Silver-skinned and curly silver hair...just like his.

"Do not be sad, Empress."

The baby smiles up at me. I try to ignore Brommy's stare as my heart warms with her in my arms.

Tears drip down the corners of my eyes.

"She's truly mine?"

"Ours."

Brommy isn't Adler. At least, there's that. The god of the sun must have mercy on me somewhat for my return to this horrid place has not brought me to him, but his son.

I blush remembering Brommy bathing with me and our one, and only time, truly alone together. Could this new life be a gift or curse? I am not ready to care for another life.

"I cannot care for myself let alone another soul so fragile," I whisper.

"Your sisters will carry the responsibility, Empress. I am well aware you cannot take care of yourself."

My face burns as he drags his knuckles lightly across my jawline. I search his eyes finding it hard to not think of the true evil that may be hidden behind his stare.

"I am not my father," Brommy says gently. "So do not fear me. I have brought you to this place in secret. Unless, you rather live with Adler and Ren - whose child is also here now, along with Celeste. I will always give you the option to return to the palace with Enoch or whomever you wish."

"So where are we now?"

"In my atrium. There are no rooms here. Only the company of plants to worry about."

And how many plants there are.

This sanctuary is divine despite it's humble space. Tall shrubs reach the collumned walls blocking out the eyes of city-dwellers.

A stream travels along the clean marbeled ground where underwater plants lurk beneath surface drifting slowly against the calm current.