Chapter 31 | Reunion

GRETA

I wake to find my Fluff circled around my neck.

Hida sits up, yelping. My limpnut squeezes my neck tighter.

My heart won't stop racing. Did Enoch bring my Fluff here? He must have.

My friend stands up, wrapping her tunic around herself.

"I don't know what that thing is, Keon," she starts, "But there is someone speaking in the kitchen."

She pulls apart the curtain. I have never seen anything so beautiful. Tears dribble down the corner of my eyes as I take in their gray skin and purplish-white silvery hair. Their tunic is a dirt-free black that meets the ground as they stride around the small table. A giant heavy sword they carry and drag lazily across the floor.

They stand three heads taller than her father.

Hida's father stands by the tiny fireplace with his arms folded.

"I am looking for a woman," Brommy announces. I back away. "My rodent she kept as a pet. Tell me where she is. It has tracked her scent here."

Suddenly, I hear him come toward our small room. There is nothing I can do to keep him from opening the curtain. His face is riddled with disgust as he takes in my friend's meager living space.

His eyes are so beautiful though. A transcluscent silver. One is a little off in color having the faint line of a scar running through it.

"Greta?"

I cannot move from my knees. Hida jumps out of his way. I feel so ugly watching him. Shameful. All this time, he must have been a god.

"My name is Keon."

"Why are you dressed in the colors of the commune?"

I cannot stop shaking like my pet quivering around my neck. If he is alive, then that means Adler might be too.

"I am working in the ranks, Brommy. How are you alive?"

After Brommy explains to me how terrible Adler has turned, we leave Hida's home to discuss more of my concerns. I am beginning to understand why Adler has had so many women. Enoch is beautiful just like I'm sure his brother is. Just standing next to him makes me feel ugly.

I do not know the city very well. I am sure he is tired from his travels.

He wears his helmet until we enter the commune. No one comes here at night.

"What a great design," his voice echos. He looks my way sounding indifferent, "Are you going to bathe too?"

My face warms as he elegantly removes his tunic. Still, he wears my necklace making me happy.

I am certain Brommy must be a god of some sort. He may not be perfect but before we talked how gods need not be perfect in their separation.

"No," I whisper. He enters the dark water while I sit on the edge. "Are you a god?'"

"Yes."

"Answer me this, why do I still wish for death in this Elysium?"

He comes very close to me. I shiver under his touch as he sets his hands on my thighs.