Chapter 41| Birth

ADLER

I know my pearl will be happy now. What a glorious night we had together. I open my eyes, turning over quickly in the cold, alone. I never intended to fall asleep. The space beside me is empty.

"Greta?"

My voice is devoured by the black sea waves crashing below against razor-sharp rock. The same waves she wished to die in...

I stand, my voice rising with me, "Greta?"

"Fuck!" I shout. "Fuck! My baby!" I growl, turning in a circle wide-eyed.

With shaky footing, I rush to the edge of the cliff finding no sign of silver in the violent waves below.

In a rush, static billows around me forming into an electrified steam.

"My baby!"

The vapor, I send it to the water's edge, far below.

However, my clout's energy finds no life to latch onto. My energy is exerted and my clout returns above sea level where it disperses at my side.

My arms shake at my sides. Maybe I became mad in my sleep. A night terror that brought me to shove her body off the edge.

"I killed her...I killed her..." I mumble.

She was already dead. Death only disposed of her spirit from my reach.

"Why didn't you take me with you?" I shout like a mad man. "I promised to come with you! I promised you! I promised you!"

But my sweet did not wish for that either. Up until the end, her soul refused me. I could not save her.

Save her from what? I don't even know what it is. All I know is, it is.

It is real and it stole my one star away.

For no light could avoid getting drowned in the abyss she walked in, no, we walked in. Together, but alone.

"What did she want from me?"

It is as though I am just seeing myself from her perspective. My sweet needed me...to protect her from it.

All I did was for me because I only wanted her. Now I finally had her...and I feel nothing.

I finally got what I wanted. The one thing my sweet didn't want me to take. I took it.

"I took it."

I made her do it. Made her want something she never wanted. She never wanted me. Never wanted sex. All she wanted was to be safe.

And I...tricked her.

I used her.

Just like all the others.

"My baby...my beautiful baby..."

***

GRETA

"Adler?"

He stands on top the cliff side, holding his hands together under his chin as he watches me ascend the rocky natural slope.

I did not want to walk around in my nudity any longer. When I woke, I ventured down to the rocks and gathered some seaweed to cover my lower half.

He watches me as though I have grown another head.

"Greta?"

Ringlets of his regal hair hang messily around his face. This place is dirty...and so dark. Even though I may have grown, I still cannot believe how tall my god is. He is very attractive. I have never seen anyone as pretty as him. He is prettier than myself, by far.

It was nice in a way for him to share his body with me yester-evening wrong as it was. At least, my god made me feel pretty too in my own skin.

The feeling was short lived though because his cloud is no longer cradling my flesh. My skin no longer glows. My hair has begun to thin. The humidity, and heat, makes my skin prune. For even in the murky waters of the sea below is heat and the water is not very refreshing. Only the gentle sea breeze cools our skin, slightly.

The sweat is horrible on me.

"W-what did you think of our, um, time together?"

"It was pleasent, Adler. Thank you."

My face warms as I hand him his own seaweed tunic I made.

"Oh...you are right. I am happy my pearl made me one as well. What a creative mind you have!" he implores.

After putting on his new seaweed tunic, he joins me by the cliff side.

"Greta," he says in a serious tone. It makes me concerned. "We will get out of here-"

"I don't wish to leave. I quite like being alone-"

He sets his hand on my shoulder.

"Little pearl, you have been alone your entire life."

"And what of it?" I ask with frustration. "What is there to live for? I no longer worship you!"

"You need to live, my sweet. You have suffered enough," he says in a strained voice. My heart clenches when his touch moves aside my tunic revealing the trace of scars across my flat chest. His fingers are gentle as he caresses the lines of pain that don't belong to him. I tense up seeing his spyrt lower right in front of my scarred-up breasts.

I don't want to recognize the look in his gaze coupled with his toothy grin before he kisses the area. His face is sweaty and so are his arms as he runs his hands up and down my back. I hate how easily my body feels happy by it.

"Stop it!" I cry out.

"Why?" he asks in a low voice. Tears roll down my face. I'm shivering. Strange how easily his touch heats me but when I remember the real selfish vile man he is I become cold.

Afraid.

Not of him, but myself.

"The gods made you for me, sweet pearl. I am trying to please you," he whispers against my throat, "So you can find some hint of happiness in this void. I love you very much, you know so, don't you? You know I love you more than myself."

"Do not say such...such ridiculous things!"

"Is it so hard to believe? Do not be worried. This is my gift to you. You do not need to forgive me for my wrongs, I know they haunt you," he says gently. His touch skims over my belly. "I will never forget you. Your kindness, your light, my little pearl. You tried to help me, sweet pearl."

"No!" I whimper sharply. "I do not need anyone..."

In the darkness, his face turns very serious. His heart pounds softly against my own.

And there is no more talking.

Only silence as he rocks me quietly in his arms.

☁️