Chapter 18 | Wrath

ENOCH

The dockyard is the coolest environment and most sustainable now for our people. The only problem lies in the vulnerability of our empire, now underground, at the mercy of any tyrant seafarer's mercy...Zard.

Most remained here after my departure to the city. The streets are no longer salvageable for the lava flows freely over them now.

Old wood creaks beneath my feet as I walk by our many vacant warships on the dock.

Something pale moves below near the shore. A woman. Rich silks cloak her figure. Time stills as I hop down onto the hard sand below.

"Greta?" I shout confused.

The waves must keep her from hearing me. Hope has me tempted to run toward her.

However, another figures emerges from the darkness of the shoreline. Slow and confident. They meet paths and begin walking in my direction.

"Cephine," I greet with dismay. My war advisor remains by her side. "What are you doing out and about at this hour of the evening?"

***

GRETA

Adler never did manage to take me back to the city. A great tremor made the cavern ceiling crumble and close us in down here.

Many want to leave by the sea, but Zard's presence out there keeps them from doing so.

The air smells of rotten fish still in here. Dozens of candied morsels lay spilled over my tunic. They are very addicting. My height has returned slightly, enough that Adler cannot so easily scoop me up.

"Good morning, my sweet," he says while observing me from his bedside. This dreadful dwarfed body has been making me wake in the early hours. I know the crinkling of the wrappings wake him up, but I am so hungry. "Do you like your candies?"

I gulp feeling the sugary mush land in my stomach like a rock.

"Yes," I whisper while returning to my pillow.

The smell of wine on him is heavy. Silk and netted cloth lay over us in a mess. Over in the little mini bathing pool water hums peacefully.

Empty bottles and glasses float in it. A few women occupy it and sit alongside Brommy. They giggle, whispering secrets in his ear.

A gross burp leaves me for I taste the bitter drink on my lips still. It is another reason why I ate so many of the morsels. The wine hurts my stomach.

"Happy yule, my little pearl!" Adler coos while cuddling my body against his own. "You had so much fun last night, didn't you?"

"N-no! You promised we would still go visit Enoch for breakfast. When will I get to see him?"

Steam rises up from the pool as Brommy and the naked women leave it. My face flames at the sight of them all leaving the room undressed.

Now I am truly alone.

"Well...I rather we spend another day in here. You may have worms again. How are you feeling?"

Another day?

"Fine," I insist.

A slave enters our room carrying a huge assortment of food. Adler picks up the baargi fruit and begins stuffing spoonfuls of the soft delicacy into my mouth.

"I am not in pain," I tell him sensing his worry. "You cannot keep me in here forever."

"You need to be properly nurtured," Adler defends as another slave brings in a long gown. It looks like something Cephine would wear. "Perhaps, it is a bit too long, but you can still enjoy its elegance. If you'll excuse me, my sweet. I will be making arrangements with Enoch regarding your new...condition."

When Adler and the slaves leave, I move from the bed and look over the rich garment left hanging near the big balcony outside the chamber. Giving in to temptation, I take off my tunic and put on the expensive outfit. It is surely too long, but the pearled cloth is so soft and shiny.

My reflection doesn't look too terrible in the rectangular mirror placed on the wall. Plants scatter the ground around it, and a table, with a bint oil lamp puffing clouds of smoke into the air.

The mirror clouds up ending my view of my reflection.

"Enoch!" I squeak seeing him enter the chamber.

He rounds the bed quickly appearing put-off going off of his rigid stance as he looks me over.

"W-what are you wearing?"

"A gift. I've never worn something so delicate. What do you think?" I laugh at his reaction.

When in reality, I am embarrassed to be seen in it. It reminds me of a slynk, but fancier.

His tone remains tight, "So, the rumors are true. You have been sleeping with my father."

My face burns at his accusation. I tighten my fists feeling tears coming. He still thinks I am his father's whore.

My breathing quickens as he closes the distance between us.

"No, Enoch," I say. He will not understand though. "I stayed the night here-"

His tone is clipped, ignoring my answer as he goes on, "You are wearing this? Why?"

I fold my arms as he takes in my figure.

"Because I wanted to!" I shout. Enoch laughs at my outburst making me feel childish. My dwarfed height does not do anything to boost my confidence. "I want to tell you something. I have feelings for you Enoch and I did not want to stay here, but Adler made me."

It sounds like a poor excuse, but it is the truth.

Enoch nods while watching my lips.

"I understand," his voice lightens. He offers a smile. "May I kiss you?"

A fluttering feeling forms in my stomach.

"Yes."

His lips are rough against my own as he wraps his arms around me. I did not think Enoch would go about kissing me so intensely.

He moves quickly, guiding me over to the bed.

I've never felt so weak in anyone's presence. Is this what love feels like? His tongue is sweet against my own.

I don't know why, but I roll out from underneath him when he grabs my tunic. I don't know what I'm supposed to do? This is no longer just a kissing session.

It is horrible to have to ask, but I do not have experience with this kind of thing.

Shame fills me making me fumble for words, "D-do you want...should I take off my-"

"I can take it off for you."

My heart hammers but I am unsure if it is still from excitement. Is it normal to be crying during such an ordeal?

No one has ever touched me with such passion.

I remain still while Enoch moves behind me to undo the knot tying my fancy tunic together.

Something moves in the entrance to the chamber.

Dread fills me seeing Adler enter quietly.

An awful silence fills the room as Adler looks down his nose at Enoch and I. Rapidly, his body turns a dark shade as he takes in Enoch cradling my half-naked body.

"You ruin everything!" I cry out with frustration. His gaze hardens on Enoch as he tears me away from the bed. I go limp against Adler hearing the sharp crack of his whip. "I love Enoch! You leave us alone."

Enoch's miserable sobs make me sick to my stomach for Adler does not stop at one lashing. I scream and kick, but Adler will not stop.

When he finally finishes, I vomit at the sight of Enoch. Bruised and bloody, half his back torn open. The monster responsible whispers sweet nothings in my ear while guards come in and remove Enoch from the chamber.

☁️