Chapter 34 | Amusement

GRETA

"Let me enter!" I demand.

The guards do not move outside Adler's newly claimed temple. Slaves hit away at the new large statue of himself. Other slaves scrape away the new steps being made that lead up to it.

He is remaking Ashtium.

It truly is horrible. Zard at least seemed to be fair in his way of treating people. The city was well off. Enslavement is not necessary. Zard is gone now. Enoch finally felt threatened enough by his father to do as asked.

The new empirical guards are too ashamed to show their faces. I do not believe Zard was so terrible as Adler made me think. They all wear veils just like Adler who parts from their line-up. A new woman follows him down the stairs. He holds a whip in his left hand and the woman's hand in his other.

I came here to speak on Enoch's behalf. The words I rescited on my way here have disappeared.

"Move out of my way," I demand while passing by his shoulder. "I told you enslavement is unnecessary!" I shout.

I'm glad he wears a veil now too. It will keep me from having to look at his pathetic face.

"Empress, it is only a temporary unit. It was Brommy's idea, not mine. How is Hida doing?"

I ignore him and march up the steps and right into the temple. I hope my newly bald head makes them all uncomfortable. The only souls who truly understand me are the two new limpnuts Adler gave me. I can feel him watching me as I open their cages. My pets settle on my shoulder as I move to sit on my throne.

I can see everything up here. The entire city and the slaves working just below.

I do not know why Adler is doing this. I did not think he would ever let Enoch rule again.

His new lady-friend parts from his side. My sisters usually come in here during these hours. It was my request. They make me feel comfortable in this sea of men.

Adler moves his veil over his head. His cheeks are flushed for the air here is decently warm. He looks serious which is a relief to me.

Black barbed armour covers his chest.

"Where have you been all day?" His touch skims over the sleeve of my tunic as if he has a right to touch me. Old paranoia skews his thinking. "I am worried about you."

"You are only worried about who you can get in your bed."

Enoch chuckles beside me. Brommy cuffs his shoulder.

"Hey!"

"Know your place," Brommy mutters curtly. He looks to me. "What is with this 'shared rule', Empress, if I may ask? It will only bring tension between us three. There need only be one ruler-"

"I am not ready to rule alone. It is better to work in collaboration than to rely on one mind's intuition. Speaking of which, please send the enslaved home tonight. I did not give my word to accept this labor."

Brommy folds his arms. "Enoch did. That is two out of three, Empress."

"Enoch, how could you do this? You told me before you wished to free the slaves on our home star!"

"I did. Here, we are currently remodeling the city for empirical ruling. We are only making measures to build our palace. So please, do not think of this place as a temple," he laughs lightly. "We are not gods here, I hope you know by now."

"I do."

***

BROMMY

"How do you think they have sex?" he mumbles.

What concern is it to us? Well, it shouldn't be. Yet, I stand outside her chamber too.

"It's none of your business."

"Of course, I am only concerned for her happiness. My sweet did not look too happy. We are only here to check on her."

Adler remains by the wall. Meanwhile, I move forward to confirm our interest. Sure enough, she sleeps in the scaly woman's embrace.

The room gets humid, the bed they share darkens, static within thickening as the walking cloud of anger approaches beside me.

"She is Greta's woman now. You have had many. Greta is free now to do what she wants-"

"Her mind is lost," he grits through his teeth.

"She is lonely," I say with growing impatience. "And you know the fault is yours for this. At least, she has some peace now...shit."

Pale eyes open, observing me in shock. She looks next to my brother with bewilderment.

"Is there an emergency?"

"No," I chide, hoping I will not have to say more.

"Then what are you doing in here?" her voice wavers. "Have you come here to laugh at us?"

Adler sounds uncomfortable, "No. We were merely curious. What, uh, what a beautiful friend you have."

Her lips form into a wobbly line as she looks at the two of us. Tears begin to dampen her tunic spilled over her lap.

Her voice rises as I pick up my lantern, "You find amusement in this, don't you?"

"Adler," I whisper under my breath, "We need to leave."

His face turns dark purple, grounded in his mixed emotions, he remains stupid and still.

"You are still my little baby. There is nothing funny here to us, Empress," he defends.

She lays down on her side facing away from us.

"I hope you found what you were looking for."

"Little pearl, we are very concerned. I just want you to be happy-"

"Get out, now!"

Adler turns away quickly as though her words slapped him across the face. His robes billow behind him in violent ripples as we stride away.

☁️