Chapter 16 | Control

ENOCH

So much taller is she now.

What with that little desert rodent wrapped up in a garb of gold and leash of the finest woven silks she appears well taken care of. Her bucket and sand tools are tied to her tunic at her waist.

Tonight, Greta wears her hair up in a tidy bun where a crescent of pearls sits on top of. A very sharp looking hairpiece it does appear to be. For out of the pearls, long razor-sharp black barbs stick out almost like a crown.

The sea is calm tonight.

It reaches only our ankles, just missing the edge of my tunic.

Her bun bobs up and down as she runs over to me. "Enoch! Enoch! You are finally here," she breathes heavily while catching her breath.

Untamed and hungry as ever, her limpnut nibbles at the cloth of my tunic. It quickly comes to realize the cloth is not food and decides on running around my feet instead.

Adler looks drained from his time spent watching over her. He wrings out the bottom of his tunic and sets his lantern down as he takes a seat in the sand.

"Oh, little pearl! It is trying to catch the fish," my father warns. He comes behind Greta and pulls the leash. "Don't be afraid to tug it back."

Greta bends down to pick the wet animal up.

"It's shivering," she pouts while laying down with it.

Her crystal eyes brighten when he lays a dry cloth over its tiny mass.

Brommy and his stout wife approach the Krexbin. The war advisor watches me with his disturbing mismatched eyes before deciding on sitting down in the sand.

Soft hands grip my shoulders.

"My dear had her stitchings taken out. He left our bedchamber to sleep with her last night. She has complete control over him."

"I know, Cephine. At first, I was very put off by it too. I think I am okay with it...now that I see how they are around each other. Greta is not interested in being of the family. She's more or less like his pet."

Her face pales. "He makes her sleep in noyk. Did you know that?"

"I don't think she likes it. Greta has outgrown it anyway. At any rate, I hope my father is treating you well. You do not have to stay with him. You are welcome to reside at our palace."

"I'm not afraid of him."

"Right," I reply while looking over her. "You have seen the worst."

A lump forms in my throat when Greta stands up with Mirth and Brommy. They walk out into the shallows of the sea. Greta follows behind with an obvious limp.

Her gray hair dances around in the wind. The limpnut splashes up the seawater at her ankles.

My father turns from watching them. Cephine joins his side. The great feast waiting by the blazing fire pit draws their interest.

***

GRETA

Just me and my pet.

Why would I want to go in that crowd by the fire?

It wouldn't fill the bottomless void occupying my chest. Perhaps my new heart was a bad one. For I do not remember having such dark thoughts before.

For so long I wanted to be found. I want to disappear now and find my own way. No more can I depend on Enoch's family.

"Stop," I order.