Chapter 29 | Identity

GRETA

This morning, I woke in the streets covered in dirt and smelly grime. A filthy sack had been placed over me as a makeshift tunic. My old luxurious tunic gone.

Hida and her father stole it.

I've been completely taken for a fool.

They probably sold it in the market for profit.

I do not know where I am now. Vibrant color surrounds me. To see so many tones of beautiful shade is very overwhelming.

There are so many people here. I earn some glares, but mostly get ignored, as I stumble around this city of mirrors. Every building is made if not of marble of the shiniest glass I have ever seen.

There are many fountains and very little trash.

A large building with huge gemstones lined across the arched roofing stands before me. It is an open space like the temples from my home. However, I do not see any statues inside.

I haven't seen any statues at all.

"Greta!"

I go still hearing Enoch's voice.

My mouth opens and closes taking in his true appearance.

"I can see color, Enoch. I promise I won't get into trouble on my own...I wish to live alone now."

He pulls me by the hand. Several new ringlets line his arms. They clink against one another as he tugs me along.

A long sword is strapped to his back drawing my curiosities even more.

"That is wonderful," he sighs. His eyes are hard though on me. "Listen, I made a promise to Zard. Adler is a murderer. Zard is not the ruler here. This is a communal city. There are no slaves-"

"I will never forgive him!"

"The only reason we temporarily imprisoned you was to keep my father in place. There is no place for emperors anymore in our time. The people, like you, should rule together. That is the way of things here. I have brought you here to save you. Adler wished for your death!"

"No-" I spit back.

"He tried to stop us from taking you here! He didn't want to come himself. He rather die in the mess he made."

"I don't believe you. Enoch, what has gotten into you? Are you...are you with Cephine now?"

He ignores my question. My feet skid across the slippery surface of the new glass building we enter.

Celeste is the first thing I hear inside. Cephine looks over at us from a huge clout. It is bigger than Adler's. Zard sits beside her smoking a pipe.

Enoch holds my hand as we approach them.

Zard raises an eyebrow as he looks over my poor attire.

"I do wish to apologize for my unfortunate mistake on your behalf. At the time, you were considered a threat since you were acting in accordance with the enemy. Any 'ruler" is a tyrant. We live much differently here. I welcome you to enjoy the freedoms Eyu offers, Greta."

I do not forgive him. I most certainly do not forgive Cephine. She never smiled so much before. It makes me feel like a bug.

"I wish to be called Keon! Tell me of the freedoms!" I demand. "Now!"

Enoch tries to hush me. It will not work. Not when I stand face to face with this monster.

Zard's large belly jiggles as he leans back with laughter.