Chapter 38 | Joy

GRETA

Something smells very good. A baked sweet with rich spices. I peel my eyes open against the morning.

A large figure stands right by my bedside.

"Good morning, Empress."

He offers me a plate, inviting himself to sit on my bed. I remain quiet as he moves aside his veil. Bruises line his neck. I tell myself I do not care.

I am still sore from last night.

His voice lightens, "Your hair has grown in and there is a lovely color to your face. Are you feeling better?"

"Do not touch me."

He withdraws his hand from my shoulder. Wobbly, tight lipped, his mouth presses into a hard line. The platter rattles on the stand he sets it on. Without much thought, I look up into his eyes.

They are tainted red and glassy. His silver curls have been combed out and brushed backward. It used to be much easier to get out of my bed. Motivation to do so somehow has been riddled away in my long winded thoughts that keep me up through the night.

I glare at his chest as he lays down beside me, pulling me in close.

"Precious pearl, I hope you feel better soon. I hope you understand other women cannot match-"

"You are a liar. Ren is beautiful. I heard you say so while you had sex outside my chamber with her."

A rush of purple tints his face. I am not angry. All I have done is simply state what is and always will be.

"I'm sorry you had to see that."

"How old is she, Adler?"

Like a child, he ducks his head. He is not a child though.

"Twenty moons...I told you," he begins in a low voice, "I am addicted to it."

His words are as empty as his stare. There is nothing I can do to fix him. He is a beautiful man in his youth who turned me into an ugly whore. He couldn't let me become a man. This is someone who only loves themself, not me, even though I keep trying to convince myself otherwise.

Adler does not love me.

Only does he seek me for help.

I just...I just do not care anymore. I need help that he cannot give me.

My voice shakes, but my heart is slow, I am on the ground again, forgotten, "Do not worry about me, Adler. I am happy with what your family has given me."

"It was only yester-morning you refused to look at me. Tell me the truth."

"What reason would I have to be upset?" I say. My pets need to be fed. I try to not be anxious about the new anger in his steps as he strides after me. "You have given me very much. Thank you, Adler."

"I have not given you enough," he responds in a hoarse voice. I grit my teeth feeling him hug me from behind. "You need to still be nurtured. I do not believe you had the environment to grow into a woman. Ren thinks you may be...slow."

"No amount of construed lies will raise enough emotion within me to wish to live. You cannot move me. I am already dead. Every day, I get to look at my corpse in the mirror and wait for it to finish rotting. You are the greatest fool if you think the affairs of your whores will keep me interested. Brommy and I had sex last night! And it was the most wonderful thing! He made me feel special."

"Then where is your joy?"

"My joy is internal," I snap back.

***

ENOCH

The first thing I see upon entering Greta's chamber is the curtain blocking the entryway. I hurry up the steps leading to her chamber and take a deep breath before pulling aside the curtain.

Inside, the big black mass of Adler's tunic sprawled all over her clout. His head is the only pale thing that I can see, thankfully, he is still robed...not properly though.

He lounges about with his tunic tied scantily at his waist. His veil is parted so I suppose he must be the exception to the rule.

With worry, I approach closer since being signaled by Adler to enter.

I find Greta asleep beneath the cloth of his tunic. Her small hand remains on his chest. Miraculously, her hair has grown reaching below her shoulders.

"Is she feeling well?"

"Yes," he answers in a quiet tone. "She has a lot to handle and my personal decisions are not helping her focus on herself."

Years ago, he would not have had the time to even be able to consider such a thing. He has changed. It is for the better, and my own safety, Greta has shared some eye-opening truth with him. He listens to her. It is very good progress.

Of course, I know it has worn Greta out.

"Doesn't she look precious?"

"Very," I agree.

I know my father well enough to be concerned about the way he still watches her. It is everyone's hope he will stay with Ren and give Greta some space.

Yet, here he is. In her bed.

He knows I have come to collect him for our morning meeting. I wonder if he spoke to her at all or if he just invited himself into her bed?

I try not to think too much of it as he follows me to out.

☁️