Chapter 39 | Friend

BROMMY

How amusing. Could it be his behavior is finally catching up with him? I watch, from afar, where in the dark recesses of his temple his true ego tosses heavy books, instruments, and the treasures his whores have given him.

For a long time, I wanted to be like him. I wanted to have everything he had gained.

This, I do not want.

The current of energy radiating from him sends a great wind against me. The clap of thunder, comes from my hand, as I touch the nearby clout. The sound announces my entrance.

"Are you angry at me?"

He brushes off his tunic. Settling his hands on his waist, he raises his chin as if above the new mess in his temple. The marble floors used to be white. The building is brand new and he has dirtied it already.

This will never be a place for Greta.

"I am not angry at you. Thank you for trying, do you think it changed her mind?"

"No. I'm certain I ended up offending her. She threw me out of her chamber afterward when I told her you asked me to do it."

He nods, twisting a strand of his curls nervously. Greta is not the most beautiful. It is about time he gets over one woman. For Ashta's sake, his obsession ended up screwing our entire empire over. Now we are here, forced to rebuild from scratch.

I don't blame Greta.

I blame him.

With an unwavering glare, he approaches.

"She still won't trust me," he chews out. "By the gods, I've given her everything!" His voice rises, clapping across the room, "What have you told her? Don't you think I am not aware you are trying to turn her against me?"

***

GRETA

Everything feels so heavy.

Out my chamber window, I can see a sky full of twinkling stars. If I only I could see their true colors.

Adler has taken away the light. I turn, finding the curtain blocking the entryway parted, behind it, his presence lurks.

"Enter," I say under my breath.

It is too late in the evening for a visit. I watch as he sits on my clout.

"How are you feeling?"

"Not very good," I huff. I approach, watching the celestial light from the window make his skin glow. "Adler, why have you come here?"

His pretty eyes look me over as I settle my hand on his shoulder like a man. He grabs my waist.

"To remind you that you deserve to be loved. I am worried about you-"

"Don't be. I have suffered the worst in silence."

"Why don't you tell me about it? Help me understand, so I can help you." I bite my lip as he lets go of me. It is different watching him undo his robes slowly in the early morning. They fall to his waist letting me see the amount of ink on his chest. "I want to help you care for yourself in this way too. I know...my words have not been sufficient. Let me help you feel better, Greta."

"I don't want to feel anything. Feeling is how I fell further into this mess. I thought you gathered that after yester-evening."

My heart hammers when he lifts me onto his lap. I blush, facing away from him and towards the wall of my chamber. Deep down, I still feel ugly in comparison to him. My arms shake as he unties my tunic.