A girl?

Oh look -.- I forgot to title the part. . .  Let me fix that real quick.

The sun was shining through Bonnie's window by the time Klaus went in there, his face set in a hard line as he followed his nose to her bag. Slipping a hand in silently, he pulled out two small bottes, one filled with wolf's bane, the other witch hazel. A dark scowl settled onto his face as he stared at the two bottles laying innocently in his hand.

" I didn't take any, " Bonnie paused until his eyes meant hers. " Of either of them. '

" You're awake . . ."

Bonnie laughed a little. " Yeah, kinda hard to sleep when you've got something growing inside of you. "

Klaus's lips tilted up into a slight smirk despite his best efforts to stop them as he looked out the window, his tone serious as he asked her. " What stopped you? " He seemed genuinely confused as he continued to speak. " You could have been free of all of this. . . Free of me. "

Bonnie looked back at him; her eyes just as serious as his had been. " While I appreciated being given the choice, I never once considered taking it. " At his widened eyes she continued. " I was five when my mom left me. Six when my dad started spending more time at work r on trips then he did at home. " Bonnie took a deep breath to steady herself before she went on. " I knew how to use the stove and get myself ready by the time I was ten, because if I didn't on the days Grams didn't have a class to teach? Then I wasn't making it to school. " Bonnie held up a hand when Klaus went to say something, showing him she wasn't done. " I had an understanding with the sheriff when I turned fifteen, she wouldn't arrest me for underage driving and I would keep my Grams at home on the bad nights. I was 17 when Elena and the Salvadores got Grams killed, and yeah she may not have been the best guardian ever, but she had also stayed. . . " Tears were running down Bonnie's face at this point, but she couldn't seem to stop the words from pouring out. " My dad never even came home for the funeral, only sent me a plane ticket. I was eighteen by the time Stefan forced me to reunite with my mother so he could get back at you, only for her to immediately leave once she turned. And the thing that finally brought my father back to town? It wasn't me! It was the god damn mayor job. " Bonnie looked up, her green eyes clashing with his blue. " So no, I never considered taking it, because while I might never have had a good family example to work with, I damn sure swear to do better with this one. "

Klaus's eyes shone with respect as he looked back at her. " I'm beginning to think we're a lot alike, you and I. . . " He walked a little bit closer as he looked her in the eyes. "We're both castoffs who learned how to fight from our backs getting pressed up against the wall. "

Bonnie smirked as her eyebrow raised. " Well, our backs are pressed against the wall now. . . "

Klaus's lips lifted up into a genuine smile for the first time since he stepped into her room. " Ah, that we are. It's time to fight little witch. " He paused as he glanced over at the picture on her bedside table. The picture was a simple one, and one of the few that had been taken when her dad had actually been home to capture the moment. It showed an eight-year-old her, grinning widely, missing tooth in hand as she proudly held it out to show her Grams. " I swear too . . . "

Bonnie's eyes shown with unshed tears as Klaus left the room. It wasn't much, and to anyone else or from anyone else it would have been nothing. But from a person like Niklaus Mikelson, who had walked this earth for a thousand years and was as paranoid as they come, those three words might as well have been a damn speech.

~~~

A few hours after their conversation, Bonnie was passing by Klaus's office when she saw something that made her pause. Klaus sat behind his desk, chair pulled almost all the way out, leaning back. But it wasn't his position that made Bonnie pause. No, it was what was in his hands.