Chapter 4 - A New look✓

Back at the palace, Zerion was alerted to report back to Tanwen. He ran back to the throne room.

"Zerion, I have had word that the United has been found in the deep jungles of Etoshiza. I want to go in person," Tanwen explained as he stared deeply into a mirror. He was changing his appearance, with every puff of mist that clouded his face a new face would appear.

Each cloud of mist only added to the image of his monstrously terrifying face, which seemed to grow bigger each time he did it. Zerion didn't even dare say that aloud, for fear of offending the dark lord, as he always was doing, with the smallest comment.

"Zerion, does this face look like an elf?" Tanwen asked as he put on another face more terrifying than the last. A twisted face cadaverous and frail, the face was stripped of its humanity. The warmth of its skin, long since drained, left only a sickly pale stain to decorate its rotting flesh.

Everything about Tanwen's new face was disturbingly disproportionate. His eyes were sunken, black eyes stared into oblivion with a dead gaze. Slowly, his thin lips parted, and a vile grin crept across her decayed face, revealing a set of rotten fangs and black gums.

"My liege, with all due respect, I think that face would scare them away," Zerion replied timidly.

Tanwen pulled a dagger and stabbed his hand. Zerion jumped and his face turned pale. There was blood dripping from his wrist. He wiped it on a silk napkin. He used the bloody napkin to wipe his face, and the last face he put on was gone. Very dissatisfied with the faces he put on.

"That will be all, Zerion," He said as he rose and began walking towards the doors of the throne room. Before leaving, he turned once again to face the young servant. "I am leaving my staff and palace in your hands, to make sure you don't cause trouble," He warned in a menacing tone.

"Understood, my liege," Zerion replied. He walked out the doors of the throne room with confidence. He walked past the guards and to a hidden tunnel near where the throne room was located.

He passed through the hidden corridor leading to a hidden exit in the palace. Tanwen walked through a forest before he met two dead fireguards. They were dragging a man who was begging to be let go. A well-groomed, and middle-aged slim man.

"Halt!" Tanwen commanded. Both of the guards halted, as told. Tanwen took a step forward and looked the man in the eyes.

"What are you trying to pull here?" Tanwen asked the guards calmly but sternly.

"Please sir, I beg you to let me go! I can give you riches! Money! Anything you desire! Just let me go! My family, please." The man begged.

"What are you doing with him and who is he?" Tanwen questioned pointing towards the man.

"We're taking him to the dungeon sir," One guard responded.

"For what reason?" Tanwen asked.

"He has committed several crimes in the palace, theft, and treason. He is the United's speaker," another guard responded.

"I thought we agreed on no interruptions, as we are edging towards the start of the war," Tanwen spoke as he eyed the man who had begged for his freedom. The men looked at each other, their eyes wide as they realized what happened.

"We apologize for my liege, we will return him," a guard apologized.

"No," Tanwen snapped. He walked up to the man and held his hand over his face.

A mist covered the man's face, the man's face had disappeared leaving his skeleton face. The man's body had fallen limp. Tanwen brought his hand to his face, a mist had covered his face and he had a new face, the speaker's face as his own.

"Now, you can take him to the dungeon," Tanwen suggested with a malicious smirk on his face. It was as if nothing had happened as he waved off the guards. They dragged the corpse by his feet through the forest.