Chapter 17 - Trust✓

"I'm telling the truth I would never," Krios hurried to say.

"I told you he wasn't someone to trust!" Ryoko yelled.

"I am sorry Krios but you just don't understand. The weight of this situation"

"No! You don't understand because you were naive enough to believe a lie like that. From him!" Krios yelled back.

"Enough!!" A booming voice roared.

Everyone looked up as the innkeeper stormed into the room with two men following him closely. His face was flushed and his breathing labored.

"All of you are under arrest!"

"What? For what!?" Ryoko demanded standing. He tried to move towards his sword. Before he could reach it, one of the guards grabbed his arm and held on tight.

"You're going to the station until we can find out exactly what happened!" The innkeeper growled. He then turned to the remaining guards who had been watching from afar. "Take them all. No exceptions." They nodded in unison.

As they started walking towards the door, Ryoko began struggling. He screamed at them. Krios pulled against the man holding his arm hard. They had put Dalinda in a cage and carried her along with us.

"We didn't do anything!" Kaida cried.

The innkeeper stopped and turned. He glared at everyone in the room before speaking again.

"This conversation is over. All of you come with me. I have already called the police about your...problem." he grunted.

"What?! Why would they arrest us!" Tatsuya protested. The innkeeper gave her a dirty look. The group followed the guards through town. As they approached the town's only station, a small crowd was beginning to gather around us. The Innkeeper pushed through the people until he reached the front desk.

"You're lucky the law allows us to act here without having to go through the court system. I'm afraid I won't be able to allow you to stay here." The officer informed them.

"But why?" The innkeeper asked in shock.

"We do not have enough cell space for them." The officer replied.

"BUT WHAT DID WE DO WRONG?!" Tatsuya yelled.

"You want to act like you don't know? Because you're criminals and therefore deserve to be in jail for what you did." The officer said sternly and slammed his palm down onto the desk.

"WE DON'T KNOW WHAT WE DID!" I shouted.

"Then why would you commit treason against Lord Zarkon? It looks to me like you've done something similar before." A voice slyly replied. Mr. Okizari appeared from a room and was standing right in front.

"We did no such thing and have never done such," Ryoko replied.

"Oh, yeah? Then tell me why this is happening," The innkeeper interrupted as he gestured toward their group.

"I assure you, sir, we weren't involved in any plot to overthrow Lord Zarkon." Tatsuya insisted.

"So, you say? what about the flier in your room, a dragon, yelling, your plan, bags filled with god knows what, and the state of you." The innkeeper responded, raising an eyebrow. Mr. Okizari walked around our group before facing the officer.

"Sir, it is certain that these five have been nothing but criminals. But I can take them off your hands if you give me your trust." Mr. Okizari told him.

"Hmph," he scoffed, "fine then. But if the charges against them come to light again, then you will be arrested as well." The officer waved and walked off. We stood staring after him in confusion. Two officers came in holding our bags and a third was holding furious Dalinda as far from her face as possible.

"Trust me that will not happen," Mr. Okizari assured. He looked at us with a smirk, but to me with a wicked smile.

"On we go," he spoke as he walked out the door, guards and officers followed.

"How did he get here so fast?" Ryoko asked as we walked down the street.

"Shhh, that's what we need to figure out. But for now, keep quiet, we're already being watched because of treason." Tatsuya whispered.

.........

We were now locked inside one of Mr. Okizari's rooms. Not that we minded. Our clothes were dirty, and our hair was unkempt from traveling for so long.

Still, we couldn't help but wonder how much trouble we were really in, and how long we'd have to endure it. It seemed like forever.

Mr. Okizari entered the room and sat back down behind his desk, which took up half the room. He rested his elbows on his crossed legs and clasped his fingers together under his chin. His eyes gazed at the ceiling while his expression remained unchanged. His mouth was set in a straight line.

He sighed heavily once more and rubbed the bridge of his nose. He then looked at each person in the room, making eye contact with Krios and me the longest.

"So. You five... I think it's time for some answers," he said in a soft tone.

"Why should we tell you anything?" I snapped back.

"Do you see my office or not? This place has plenty of places we can hide and others can't find. If you don't cooperate then I promise there'll be no hiding from the truth anymore. I'd rather not harm any of you but that's not going to stop me if you try anything funny." Mr. Okizari answered calmly. I clenched my fists tightly, trying not to lash out at him, even though the urge was getting harder and harder to resist. I looked at the rest of the team, looking down at the ground with fear in their eyes. All except Tatsuya. She had her hands behind her back with sparks flying; she sighed as she stood up.

"Okay, I'll tell you everything," Tatsuya spoke and walked closer to just stopping a few inches in front of him. His face which had been nonchalant had grown a sinister smile, within seconds.

"TATSUYA HAVE YOU GONE MAD!?" Kaida yelled.

"ARE YOU GOING TO DO THAT?!" Ryoko shouted.

"TATSUYA DON'T DO THIS!" Krios hollered.

"Go on, tell me everything, Darling," Mr. Okizari voiced slyly, with the biggest evil grin you could ever see.

I glared at her in response. She looked away with guilt in her eyes.

"Only one on condition," she replied.

"And what do you propose?" Mr. Okizari asked with interest.

Tatsuya held up one finger causing fire to appear on her hand to flare up instantly. I flinched slightly, and she smiled.

"I would never tell you anything," she chuckled.