Chapter 29 - Numb✓

When I woke up my entire body was numb. I couldn't move, I couldn't speak. All that could be heard were my breaths and heartbeats that echoed through my head. My mind was sluggish and foggy and the pain only intensified.

But my brain wasn't fully functional until I tried to move my hand and it felt heavy as lead.

It felt like hours before I opened my eyes. My body ached everywhere, I couldn't move anything except my eyelids or turn my head. I tried to lift my head, which made it hurt worse than before but I ignored the pain. I needed to figure this out. Where was I... and why wasn't I dying yet.

I moved my legs and arms, which still hurt, but at least my head wasn't throbbing anymore. I slowly sat up, trying to keep my vision focused.

"Where am I? What happened?" I mumbled to myself. It took effort but I finally managed to push myself up. Looking down I noticed that my outfit had been changed. Revealing my bare leg burns. My entire torso was covered in cuts and bruises, some old and some new. The biggest one was a deep gash right across my chest, about two inches above my heart. 'How did I get here', I thought to myself. But the answer didn't come immediately. When it came, it didn't make any sense.

Shouldn't these have healed? Or I should be left with a few scabs, but not an opened wound.

I looked around the room, it was a dark space, but I knew what every detail meant instantly. The room I was in was small, maybe three feet wide and four feet tall. There was no furniture other than a single bed, a small table with a lamp, and a chair. I wondered how anyone could sleep in such a strange place.

I pushed against the wall, trying to stand up. There were no signs of any sort of exit. Nothing indicated where I was. The room seemed to go on forever without a break between floors or ceiling, just blackness stretching endlessly ahead. As far as I could tell there was no door, just more darkness. Maybe if I tried to open a window...

No windows, just darkness, and silence.

I took slow steps away from the wall and turned on the light.

I touched the room walls hoping for a door, crack, or some type of opening.

Then Mr. Okizari walked in with the door closing behind him.

He looked me up and down, gave me a satisfied smile, and said, "Well, you seem to be awake. And better than I thought."

He approached me and sat at the other side of the table.

"Sit" he directed to the other side of the table.

"I am fine sitting on the bed," I replied.

As I walked back and sat on the bed.

The sheets stuck uncomfortably against my legs but I was more concerned about my injuries. A couple of them had started to show signs of healing. They weren't gone yet, but they were starting to itch again. The last thing I wanted was to end up scratching those scars off my leg.

Okizari laughed and said "No no, sit down" gesturing towards the chair. I obeyed, wondering why he was treating me so kindly. He seemed like someone who would rather see me dead than alive and he'd done nothing to help me, yet...

I looked away from Okizari's face and examined my surroundings. It was very sparse, barely anything. Aside from me and his little room, we seemed to be alone.

"You know," he said, breaking my train of thought, "I've never seen someone as young as you, I mean no one has. You look to be around fourteen years old and yet you already hold power beyond your age."

So I was sixteen. That was something that wasn't mentioned before in this world. And even that didn't make sense. Was there enough time difference for my world to be that much older?

I decided not to respond and continued observing the room, looking for another way out of this creepy place. One very flat door, no windows, no nothing. This was getting frustrating.

Okizari cleared his throat before continuing. "You must be curious to know how I found you. I'm sorry it has to be under such circumstances," I frowned. I hadn't gotten kidnapped because of someone who's been under "circumstances". This was all too confusing. I didn't trust this guy and I never will.

Okizari was confused on my face, "If you want a straight story then this will probably be the easier part, but first I need you to give me your hand."

"Huh? Why?" I replied tensely.

"Don't worry about it." Okizari insisted.

I shrugged and handed over my injured arm. Okizari grabbed my wrist and pressed something into the soft skin there. After a second the feeling returned to my limb and I realized it was the bracelet.

"Thank you for trusting me," Okizari said. "Now I know you are confused, but don't worry. The bracelet can heal you and allow you to travel safely with me wherever I go. That means you are under my orders." I raised a brow.

Okizari smiled and leaned in. "That means if anything happens you have to come with me."

"And what if something doesn't happen?" I demanded.

Okizari shrugged. "I'll get rid of you."

"Are you planning on killing me?" I asked. No way, there was no way I would listen to any orders he would give. I'm sure he wouldn't kill me anyway. I would stay put. Okizari didn't answer me and after a moment I stood.

"I'm going back to bed," I announced. "Goodbye."

I turned and walked past Okizari to the bed, but he grabbed my arm and pulled me back. I fell onto the floor next to the bed.

"You think I won't do anything? I can promise you you aren't in my good graces," he chuckled darkly, "and I won't hesitate to dispose of you if necessary." His tone was threatening and cold, "Do you understand?"

My eyes widened. "Y-yes... of course. I'll cooperate... I'll comply."

"Stop being afraid and listen closely." I nodded reluctantly. Okizari continued, "I'm going to ask you questions now, you must answer each and everyone honestly. Do I make myself clear?" I nodded once more and Okizari continued. "First question. How do you feel right now? Are you still weak?"

I shook my head slowly and responded, "My body is fine. Just a few gashes here and there." Okizari smiled softly. "Good, good" He paused, seeming lost in thought for a while. Then he looked directly at me, "Next question: when did you last eat?" Again I shook my head, unsure. Okizari continued, "You must be hungry aren't you?"

He waited for me to respond before continuing. "I can assure you that food will be provided to you. Your body needs the nutrients it needs after everything you've been through. We can talk about your friends later as well." He smiled, almost apologetically.

"By the way, I don't know what you did back there, kid. Your magic may be limited here, but when I say use it you use it. You understand?"

"Yes sir" I answered politely.

Okizari stood up from his seat. "Good, now I take my leave."

'Bastard . . .' I whispered.