MOONLIGHT NINJA CHAPTER 25

Chapter 25

Yan Mei Ling was still a bit wary on her way back to the camp. When she heard one of her fellow soldiers shouting hysterically like a lunatic, her anxiety increased tenfold.

"I saw a girl! I saw a girl! I saw a girl!"

His screams had disrupted everyone in the camp. Sneers, curses and taunts had filled the camp as many soldiers had been disturbed from their slumber. Those who were awake were vastly irritated.

"I swear I will smother the life out of that lunatic for irritating my ears early in the morning!"

"I should have killed him in his sleep." Another muttered in frustration.

"If that bastard will not stop, I will surely gag his mouth!"

As Yan Mei Ling entered the camp, her heart somersaulted anxiously. Her entire frame was shaking with alarm. 'Could he be the one in the forest?'

The raving soldier, known to everyone as Chen Fu was running around the camp as if he was chased by a monstrous yaomo. The moment he spotted Mei Ling, he came near her. He looked at her with unfocused eyes - eclipsed with insanity. What happened next made her swallow the lump in her throat so hard that it almost choke her. He was staring at Yan Mei Ling knowingly despite the lunacy that befuddled his mind and, very softly, he whispered to her, "I saw a girl."

"Where?" Yan Mei Ling managed to croaked a question despite the elevated nervousness in her heart. She could hardly breathe and sweat began to form profusely at both sides of her temple. The camp's surrounding turned even more colder, giving her gooseflesh. It was as if that it was already winter.

Chen Fu paused for some time but as moments passed, his expression dumber. His brows furrowed which indicated that he did not comprehend Yan Mei Ling's question at all. He merely repeated stupidly, "I saw a girl. I saw a girl."

After saying those words, he then ran away as if he was possessed by some evil spirit while continuing to wreak havoc in the camp. Yan Mei Ling, on the other hand was still trembling from intense perturbation.

"Do not mind Chen Fu. He has been shouting, 'I saw a girl' ever since our encounter with the Hsein Army." A cheerful and familiar voice materialized behind Mei Ling's back; disrupting her from her thoughts and, at the same time, startling her.

"I am sorry if I have startled you, Lao Fang. It is not a usual habit of mine to speak to people unannounced and who are deep in their thoughts."

"It is fine, Lu Jinhai," Yan Mei Ling said softly as she could to somehow hide the alarm emanating from her heart. "I am just concern about what has happened to Chen Fu - that's all"

"Hmmm, well, you do not need to concern yourself about these kind of things happening during a war. In fact, they are all normal occurences. War does a lot of things to any person. The consequences may be too much for the heart and mind to handle thereby making anyone insane as what has happened to poor Chen Fu. But, anyway, his lunacy is not a thing in question, for it runs in his family." Lu Jinhai sighed wearily. He continued speaking while stroking his chin, "I sometimes wonder how the imperial army just accept anyone including those whose identities are questionable. Are they that desperate? What are your thoughts about that, Tang Lao Fang?"

Yan Mei Ling's heart took another frantic dive at Lu Jinhai's words. She did not know if they were merely expressed opinions or veiled double meanings. Her thoughts were in a chaotic muddle. She could not form a coherent thought in her mind anymore. She was rendered speechless until a light tap at her shoulder brought her back to her senses.

"Are you fine, Tang Lao Fang? You look pale as a paper." Lu Jinhai asked with genuine concern. He gently touched the back of his hand on her forehead to check if she was afflicted by fever.