MOONLIGHT NINJA CHAPTER 14

"The Journey towards the Uncanny"

Chapter 14

When Unit Commander Yan Bao Rong received a message from one of the imperial spies that the Hsien clan planned to attack the Northern border under the Empire's dominion, he immediately sent his troops to tell the villagers to vacate their village for a safer haven.

When the village was cleared of the civilians, he had the imperial army, under his command, stationed there with its reinforcements ready thereby taking the Hsien army by surprise the moment that they arrived.

A bloody combat ensued between the two forces for several days. Monstrous roars of the cannons were heard and numerous arrows from crossbows were hurled at each other. Some soldiers from both armies were even brave enough to engage in hand to hand combats using spears and swords. 

Soon the abandoned village were filled with lifeless bodies; some incinerated with arrows and spears, and the others where either headless or body parts were brutally torn and splattered at every corner.

As days passed by, the unbearable stench of decaying corpses and dwindling resources had taken there toils between the fighting armies. But the Hsien clan being the foreign force was soon suppressed as their reinforcements had became meager or took to long to arrive. When the remaining Hsien armies retreated, Unit Commander Yan Bao Rong , atop his muscled stallion rode around the village, declaring victory to his cheering subordinates.

On the third day since Unit Commander Yan Bao Rong 's victorious feat at the Northern border, his troops remained to clear the cadavers from the land while other villagers came back to help or start rebuilding their houses.

In the huge tent that was set-up on the village, Unit Commander Yan Bao Rong had a meeting with the other ranked army officials to plan their next move against the Hsien army. Amidst the seriousness of what they'd been discussing, an imperial herald dared to intrude and insisted to talk to the Unit Commander.

"Can't you see that we are discussing a very important affair? If you want to talk to me, then you wait outside and I'll talk to you after we are finished." Unit Commander Yan Bao Rong snapped, irritated at the herald's audacity to intrude.

"But, my lord, you need to hear what I say," the herald persisted and then he added gravely, "It's about your village."

Unit Commander Yan Bao Rong turned pale upon hearing the herald's word. For the second time in his life since his wife's death, he felt utterly afraid.

"Men, please excuse me," he implacably said to the other officials who bowed their consent, and then he motioned the herald outside of the tent. "Speak now"

The messenger though he tried to appear unaffected had noticeably swallowed the lump in his throat as if the news that he brought was too much he could handle lest speak. "The Hsien army had reached your village two days ago, my lord."

The Unit Commander's eyes grew wide with what he heard. He started to brace himself for whatever he was about to hear although a flicker of hope remained in his heart.

"The entire village was burned to the ground and there were no survivors. No corpses were recovered but ashes."

"But my daughter?" Unit Commander Yan Bao Rong asked in disbelief refusing to accept the conclusion that dawned in his mind.

"I am sorry, my lord, but there were no survivors." The herald said with remorse.

Unit Commander Yan Bao Rong silently fell to his knees after hearing the herald's tragic words. He tightly closed his eyes as he curled his fists painfully together. A chill seeped to the bones of his body as unbearable anguish and loss contained the very core of his heart.

°°°°°

'Stay safe for me and, I will do my best to stay safe and alive for you.'

"Oh, Yan Mei Ling," Li Lei Shuang whispered in an agonized voice as she read and re-read Yan Mei Ling's letter that promised that they would be together someday through teary haze. But then, that day would never happen for Yan Mei Ling, her beloved treasure, was stolen by Death forever. "Oh, Yan Mei Ling," she sobbed once again as immeasurable pain gripped her heart which even made breathing a very difficult thing to do.

"Princess," Li Lei Shuang's head attendant said worriedly while the others stayed behind for they didn't know how to ease the sadness that the princess felt due to her loss.

"Please," Li Lei Shuang softly said. "Leave me alone. I want to be alone."

The attendants seemed hesitant at leaving the princess alone but they did as she told them but a few moments later, the Empress arrived, her beautiful face full of worry.

"My daughter," the Empress said with concern and then she enveloped her daughter in the warmth of her embrace.

Although her mother's embrace felt comforting, it barely eased the hollow pain that was agonizing her heart. "Mother, the news is not true, isn't it? Yan Mei Ling didn't die, right? She. . She. . She is still alive. . She promised me; look at the letter, read it. . She promised me she'll be safe and alive. The news is nothing but a lie. She isn't dead. Oh, my best friend, isn't dead!"

The Empress held her grieving daughter tightly in her embrace. She couldn't seem to find the right words to say for everything just seemed inappropriate. "My daughter, some things just happen because they are way out of our control."

"But if I only married Lord Hsein Mao Dong, this won't happen," Li Lei Shuang heart-brokenly said. "No, that's not right - Yan Mei Ling won't want me to even think of that.. But, mother, tell me, Yan Mei Ling is still alive. . She is strong. She can protect herself. . Oh, oh, it can't be. She can't be dead. It just can't be.."

Tears began to fall from the Empress eyes for she couldn't seem to comfort her own daughter. Although, it was hard to accept, it seemed that the light and sanity seemed to fade from Li Lei Shuang's eyes.

----------------------

Author's Note:

Please read or vote or comment