MOONLIGHT NINJA CHAPTER 7

CHAPTER 7

Sneering and laughing masculine sounds mingled with the opium haze assailing through the gambling den. Not to be outdone, clicking wooden chips, soft paper whispers and clinking coins added to the noise.

At the right of the tavern, near the wonderfully-crafted paper calligraphy art, a pot-bellied man named Liang Zhu stood frowning disappointedly to the poker-faced gamblers playing Ma Diao Pai. Much to his utter dismay, everybody seemed to do his best to ignore Liang Zhu's existence.

Well, the reason wasn't that hard to figure out: Liang Zhu was considered a tavern fool for seeking too much attention from the people in the gambling den. If his ugly smirking face was not the reason, then it was most certainly his irritating mouth which did not seem to have the ability to stay close even for a short period of time. His overbearing narration of his latest venture or whatever menial deed he had done for the day had already grated to the people's nerves.

"My bet on Jinzhou Lu Wang Wei had been extremely profitable. I know that he will make it to the championship unscathed. And, let me predict, the championship fight will be between him and the Ninja boy." Liang Zhu announced hoping to get some attention from the disinterested gamblers.

"It is expected," one of the gamblers sneered distastefully but not directed to the news but rather to Liang Zhu whom he deemed a plaguing nuisance.

Sensing that he could not get an ounce of the attention he sought than what he had just received, Liang Zhu added slyly, "Oh, I forget to mention that I placed equal bets between Jinzhou Lu Wang Wei and the Ninja boy. Isn't it extremely fortuitous of me?"

The statement caught the attention of another gambler who disgustedly remarked, "Only a coward without honor will bet on two opponents - that is pure stupidity."

The gambler's companions agreed and diverted their attentions back to their game leaving Liang Zhu in sneering silence.

Feeling even more neglected and sneered upon in addition to being irritated as one of the gamblers purposely released the opium smoke in his direction earning a sputtering cough from him and humorous laughs among the gamblers, Liang Zhu persisted in talking, "In gambling, you need to be wise and practical even if it means being a coward. And besides, there is no honor in gambling - only gains and losses."

"Are you implying that placing equal bets on two matching opponents as wise?" One of the gamblers sarcastically questioned him.

Feeling belittled but still determined, he answered, "Partly"

"Partly? Bah! Half wise and half foolish would never be wise - that would be the most stupid thing I have ever heard." Another gambler jeered loudly that the gamblers from the other tables heard and guffawed at Liang Zhu.

Liang Zhu merely smiled in an indignant way ignoring the jeering laughter aimed at him. "It doesn't really matter what you think of me now. I know each of you bet on either Jinzhou Lu Wang Wei or the Ninja boy but I tell you loyalty to one fighter won't make you gain more money. Now, I may have placed equal bets on both of them which technically mean that I will not earn a copper this time. Who cares if I might not earn this time, I already won betting on the two fighters during their previous fights anyway. At least, in the end, no matter the outcome of the fight, I will always be a winner."

"That is if you call a half loser a winner!" One of the gamblers said which intensified the laughter inside the gambling den.

Liang Zhu realized that he would never get the kind of attention he sought from the gamblers but only more insults so he left the gambling den in haste.

When he was gone, the place became eerily silent as if gamblers are suddenly locked in their own reflective thinking. At first, they were disgusted with what Liang Zhu said to them considering how twisted his logic of being wise and practical seemed to be. In the end, they all agreed albeit silently, to avoid being dubbed as stupid, that Liang Zhu despite being foolish was being practical and somehow wise - that was if partly wise could be accepted.