MOONLIGHT NINJA CHAPTER 29

Chapter 29:

Yan Mei Ling snuggled deeper into the torn and ragged cloth that she used to shield herself from the cold as the wind had gone increasingly colder as if autumn had been conquered by winter. She could hear the wind, sounding like that of a newly-stoked flame of a camp fire. The thinning foliage of the forest seemed a faint reminiscent of what had been a verdant summer. The trees' barks were covered with algae and other plants like tapestries to a wall. The dewy grass struggled to grow on the wide forest floor. It would have been terribly silent if not for the wind but the sound did not give any comfort - it sounded more like a warning.

The walked to Hsien's domain had proven taxing considering that they had lost their entire cavalry units and most of their provisions. All of the soldiers despite the few days reprieve from war looked more weary than rested; some of them even looked more afraid and uncertain – almost to the point of feeling utterly hopeless.

She took a quick peek at Jinzhou Lu Wang Wei who had remained silent and aloof throughout their journey. He greatly reminded her of a fire that had turned into a huge block of ice. Secretly, she longed to see the other side of him who was cheerful and passionate – the one he usually showed when they were both alone together.

'I should not have been thinking of him, should I?'  She thought bitterly. 'I should think more of Li Lei Shuang and how to save her from those perverted Hsien pigs.'

She took a deep breath to compose herself. She felt hysterical; she could not even control her thoughts or how she should feel. 'Has my soul left my body to be independent? I think I am going crazy.'

"You seem to be in deep thoughts, Lao Fang." Someone tapped Yan Mei Ling's shoulder.

Yan Mei Ling shuddered in surprise before smiling. "It is of no importance, Lu Jinhai."

"Is it not so important that your brows seem to stick together to a frown like you are solving a rather difficult puzzle?" Lu Jinhai asked with humor in his voice.

Yan Mei Ling blushed slightly under his intense scrutiny. "I have this tendency to look strange sometimes."

"Hmmm," Lu Jinhai exclaimed while staring at her intently. "You do not look strange at all to me. In fact, you make me feel strange."

"What do you mean?" Yan Mei Ling blurted in panic. 

Lu Jinhai laughed at her reaction and crumpled her hair in affection. "Little Lao Fang, you look so cute when you react like that."

"Why are you deflecting from the topic?"

"Hmmm?"

"I mean – what do you mean when you said that I make you feel strange?"

"Oh," Lu Jinhai smirked mischievously. "The innocence of a child – do you know that it is one of your endearing qualities?"

"Endearing qualities?" Yan Mei Ling frowned in confusion. She could not figure out what Lu Jinhai had been alluding. "Are you mad, Lu Jinhai?"

"Hmmm, maybe"

"You have not answered my question."

"I am not entitled to answer your question," Lu Jinhai chuckled in amusement.

"You are unfair!" Yan Mei Ling lightly punched his shoulder to which earned a laugh from Lu Jinhai. "I thought you are my friend."

"Of course, I am," Lu Jinhai solemnly said to Yan Mei Ling while placing his hand on the middle of his chest where his heart was residing.

"Hmmmp!" Yan Mei Ling snorted indelicately, disappointed at not getting an answer.

"I will forever be your friend, Lao Fang, and because of that, I will you protect even at the cost of my life."

Yan Mei Ling looked at Lu Jinhai and saw the sincerity of his beautiful eyes. Her heart took a few hops and she struggled to understand what was happening inside her – could that be that she felt something for Lu Jinhai too? She thought that she had gone hysterical. The war indeed would make any sane person mad just as what it did to her.

"Thank you, Lu Jinhai," Yan Mei Ling said timidly. "Rest assured, I will do the same thing for you."

"No, please do not," Lu Jinhai slowly shook his head. "I very much prefer that it is you who will survive should the time comes that only one between the two of us will live. I want you to live and be happy."

"Why are you talking like that?" Yan Mei Ling asked him – her voice tinged with sadness and confusion. "We will all survive the war and live happily, you shall see."

Lu Jinhai looked sadly at her before smiling. "Of course"

Yan Mei Ling looked at Lu Jinai and smiled at him. The breeze swayed his rumpled hair.

"I am glad that you are fine now, Lao Fang." Lu Jinhai said in a voice filled with raw emotion. "I thought that something happened to you. I was so worried for you. I..."

"Everyone!" Lu Wang Wei announced in a loud voice to get everybody's attention. "There is a village near. It could be Baron Chao Bo's domain – he is known as a kind and virtuous man. We can ask for his help so that he will allow us to camp inside his village and ask for provisions."

All of the soldiers' weary faces turned bright with hope. The enervated march had turned more energetic as they approached the forest-village.

"Stay right there!" One of the Chao's guards who seemed to be the head halted them from his watch when they were near the gates. "Who are you and where do you think are you going?"

Lu Wang Wei smiled and bowed his head respectfully to the guard before saying, "We are the soldiers of the good Emperor of Chang'an and I, in behalf of my troops, humbly request for an audience with your kind lord, Baron Chao Bo."

The one who talked to them smirked as if he did not believe Lu Wang Wei's words at all. "How humble and respectful of you to say that but, too bad, we already know the purpose of your coming."

He signaled the guards who immediately aimed their crossbows at Lu Wang Wei and his soldiers. "Allow us to give you the warm welcome you rightfully deserve, deceitful scums!"

= = = = = = = = = = = =

Author's Note:

Dear readers,

My apologies if I have not been updating this story for such a long time. I have a serious bout of writers block and I cannot seem to get the perfect scene for this story. I am sorry. But, anyway, I thank you for reading this.

Oh, please do not forget to comment or vote. Thank you!

-Midnight_CarouseL