MOONLIGHT NINJA CHAPTER 3

CHAPTER 3

Li Lei Shuang walked regally along the long and wide red-tiled hall; it was outlined by several columns supporting the high ceiling with entablatures sculpted with gilded dragon's head to emphasize the dynastic symbol - the golden serpent dragon.

The end of her magnificent flowing royal pink silk robe was held by two royal attendants. The princess' majestic pink robe had yellow borders on the sleeves; its hems were designed with miniature circular geometric patterns that depicted their culture. A sash with a darker shade of yellow was tied around her slim waist. It was so soft that it felt like the river's cool water.

Two royal attendants walked behind her, left and right, to watch for any disfigurement on her royal headdress. The headdress was designed with dangling pearls and silver; it added to its majestic flair. Her plaited long black hair which was obscured by the headdress was tied in a chignon with small jade pins, but a considerable amount of hair was allowed to fall gracefully at her back.

The rest of the attendants walked behind her back lining like dutiful imperial army soldiers on a royal march. All of them were dressed in identical dark orange robes designed with minimal circular patterns on the flowing sleeves and hems; bright orange sashes were tied around their waists. The head attendant, distinguishable by her different hair style, led them to the royal family chamber. The elegantly dressed Imperial Eunuch walked in front of them.

When Li Lei Shuang walked inside the family chamber, she and the attendants bowed in unison the Emperor and the Empress. She had also noticed that the Emperor was having a serious discussion with her mother at the tea table as marked by the soberness of his face. As she came near her parents, she felt that something was not right - both of them seemed to be mourning over a terrible fate.

All of them dutifully kowtowed to the Emperor as a sign of respect. "Greetings, Son of Heaven, Lord of Ten Thousand Years! I present to you, the Imperial Princess, Princess Li Lei Shuang."

"Good day, Son of Heaven; good day, Imperial Empress " Li Lei Shuang greeted and bowed respectfully to both of her parents again.

The Emperor anxiously stared at his only child, Princess Li Lei Shuang. After a moment, he turned his gaze to the Imperial Enunuch and attendants, and commanded them to leave. Everyone left hastily at the Emperor's orders.

When everyone left, the Emperor stood from where he was kneeling and hugged his daughter as if he was shielding her from all dangers. At the other side, the Empress was weeping with great remorse.

Li Lei Shuang was utterly confused with her parents' unusual behavior but she did not voice her thoughts.

"My daughter, you are my one and only beloved treasure. All I have in my Empire will never amount to you. I will never allow anyone to hurt you - they should have to face me first." The emperor said.

"Is there something wrong, bà ba?" Li Lei Shuang asked in confusion. She was unable to understand what was amiss - everything felt lugubrious.

The Emperor led his daughter near the tea table and directed her to sit.

Li Lei Shuang's parents' looked morosely dejected as tense silence filled the room. Suddenly, she could not bear the situation and curiosity won the better out of her as she asked her father to break the uneasy silence, "Please tell me what is wrong, bà ba."

At her question, her mother broke into another wave of whimper and the Emperor's eyes glistened with tears. It was as if he was bracing himself over something dreadful yet unavoidable.

"Lord Hsien Mao Dong of the Hsien Clan," the Emperor finally started. "is planning to wage war against our Empire."

"Did he not visit the Imperial Palace to forge an alliance with us, bà ba? I don't understand why he plans to wage war against us." Li Lei Shuang asked utterly confused by her father's statement.