MOONLIGHT NINJA CHAPTER 22

Chapter 22

The sun had set high on the sky searing the wide span of land with its vehement temperature; the clouds were sparse and thin, like that of a fine spider web. The sun and its ray looked like a pole that had a tip made of a circular molten gold. The day indicated that it was already the peak of the afternoon.

The combat with Hsien army Hong se Unit had remained an unfinished business since its jiangjun along with its remaining troops had fled the camp like spineless cowards. They eventually realized that they stood no chance of crushing the imperial army.

True to his vow to the deceased Duizhu Gang Bingwen's request, Jinzhou Lu Wang Wei had attempted to chase after them in hopes of killing Jiangjun Han Li but his weakened and wounded state had impeded him. He past out even before he could ran after the enemies.

He woke up to what seemed to be prisms of sun rays that passed through the multitude of holes on his torn tent and the sounds of men working outside. He struggled to sit down but when he did, he could feel a sharp stab of pain torturing every muscle and bone in his body. What surprised him even more were the bandages on his wounds and the tiny needles on his flesh. A torn cloth was placed upon him to cover him from any chill. However, despite the fact that it was already Autumn, it seemed unnecessary considering the current weather. He tasted something bitter and unfamiliar on his tongue and he remembered that someone had tried to feed him something in his unsteady state of consciousness.

His head turned when he heard that the door of his tent was being lifted. Someone entered his quarter. His eyes widened when he saw Tang Lao Fang carrying a bowl that emanated a strong and pungent. It was so strong that it irritated his nose.

"You are awake now, Jinzhou," Tang Lao Fang observed, relief was evident in his voice.

Jinzhou Lu Wang Wei was about to stand and approach him but then the boy had stopped him from doing so.

"Don't stand, Jinzhou, or else the needles might fall from your flesh or worst, they might go deeper making it hard to remove them."

Jinzhou Lu Wang Wei's forehead wrinkled in confusion. "Who had done this to me, Lao Fang?"

"He is Lee Sui Song, one of your soldiers; he is a village doctor's apprentice who lived East of the Imperial Palace. He is also the one who made the concoctions that were fed to you while you are unconscious. I merely assisted him. Ah... I have brought something for you, Jinzhou."

Tang Lao Fang went near him and handed him a bowl full of dull greenish-brownish liquid.

Jinzhou Lu Wang Wei wrinkled his nose in disapproval and eyed it skeptically. "What is it?"

"It is a fortifying broth. It will help you recover fast, Jinzhou."

"I don't need that - I think I am fine now, Lao Fang.I need to stand and go after the Hsein Army Hong se Unit." Jinzhou Lu Wang said with determination despite the nettling pain in his body. "I am certain that they are not far from us."

Yan Mei Ling secretly looked heavenward in frustration. She was not pleased with what she heard from Jinzhou Lu Wang Wei.

Why must he pretend that he is fine when, in fact, he seemed to wince even with simple body movement? Men and their twisted masculine notions are, most of the time, absurd and stupid.

"Go on. Stand up, Jinzhou, and let's see if you go after them and fight them considering your current state right now."

"I can't waste my time lying down doing nothing, Lao Fang. The Empire's safety lie in our hands. Any delay will endanger all of us."