Dante Mancini

"What do you think? It's not too much, is it, Enzo?"

"No, you can never do too much. You look like the next Don," Dante's second in command and best friend of several years reassured him. Dante trusted Lorenzo with his life, and if he could do that, then he could trust him with his suit selection.

"I'm nervous, Enzo," Dante candidly admitted. That was another thing. Lorenzo was the only human being Dante could be himself with. Lorenzo knew his fears, anxieties, weaknesses, and shortcomings- all the negative qualities preventing him from being a good Don. To be Don, he'd have to be ruthless, self-assured, and, more importantly...fearless.

"There's no reason for you to be nervous. This is it. You've put in the work, and now it's time for you to reap the benefits. You've been boots on the ground and in the trenches with us, and I'm proud to serve under you as your consigliere," Lorenzo proudly boasted, plucking a piece of lint off his best friend's shoulder.

Lorenzo felt that calling Dante his best friend was an understatement. They were brothers in every sense of the word, despite not sharing DNA.

"The only thing missing is a beautiful Italian woman who can carry on your legacy."

"Here we go. You sound just like my father," Dante sighed as he adjusted his black silk tie in the mirror.

"You should listen to the man. When was the last time you even went on a date? Your father is beginning to question your sexuality."

Dante chuckled as he selected a pair of diamond cufflinks from the box Lorenzo offered him.

"So, because I refuse to settle, I'm a homosexual?"

"Eh, pretty much," Lorenzo replied with a casual shrug of his broad shoulders.

"The right one will come around when the time is right."

"I love your confidence," Lorenzo mumbled as he followed Dante out of his bedroom.

The pair walked the ornate halls, Italian leather shoes storming the polished marble floors that gleamed below priceless chandeliers that dripped with crystals.

The Mancini compound was absurd. Some would say gaudy or ostentatious. Salvatore Mancini was the Don of La Cosa Nostra, the most prominent Italian organized crime group. He lived largely and believed in the motto, 'the bigger, the better.' Whenever anyone commented about how Salvatore Mancini flaunted his wealth, he'd quickly remind them that was why he shitted on gold toilet seats and them on plastic before they met certain death.

Salvatore Mancini was a ruthless bastard. He was shoot first and never asked questions later. Salvatore had enough souls under his belt that would even put the Devil to shame. Dante learned from a young age that his father was a soulless monster. Growing up, he heard whispers that his father amassed his wealth and power by making deals with the Devil. Dante was inclined to believe them because Salvatore Mancini didn't live by a code of ethics. You fucked him over? He'd slaughter your entire family in front of you, from the wife down to the newborn baby you kept a picture of in your wallet. Dante had no desire to be just like his father. Still, he was grateful he paved the way for him. Everyone was already on notice not to fuck with the Mancini family.

"You're sweating bullets," Lorenzo teased, dabbing at the sweat that trickled from Dante's brow with a handkerchief.

"Get that shit away from me," Dante growled, slapping away Lorenzo's hand.

"My bad. I didn't want your makeup to run," Lorenzo teased.

"You're an asshole and about to find yourself demoted. I'll have you working at the docks just like back in the day."

"Those were good times. You remember that, Danny? It seems so long ago when we were running around with our dicks in our hands, not knowing what the fuck to do."

Lorenzo let out a reminiscent sigh.

"Let's get this over with," Dante remarked, knocking on his father's office door.

***

Dante tried not to let his nervousness show as he sat before his father. It had been a good ten minutes since he was granted permission to enter, and his father hadn't said a word. He only glared at him through his black beady eyes. Dante was momentarily distracted by his father's chubby fingers that tapped against the African Blackwood desk that he'd hoped would one day become his.

"Son, are you aware of why I called you here today?"

"I have an idea, but I don't want to be presumptuous."

"In this business, there's no place for being presumptuous. You either know, or you don't. Tell me what you know."

"I know you've dedicated your entire life to elevating our family and organization to what we are today, but you can't do this job forever, and it's time for you to step down. I'm ready to take over as Don of La Costa Nostra," Dante firmly stated.

Dante's face crumpled in pain when his father threw his head back and roared with laughter.

"I-I-I'm so s-sorry," he stammered between laughter. Dante's eyes narrowed into disapproving slits when his father repeatedly slammed his fists on the nearly endangered wood.

Lorenzo's eyes stayed glued to the floor. He could feel the shame and embarrassment roll off his best friend in waves. He didn't need a visual reminder.

"My boy. How in the world did you come to this conclusion?"

Dante's foot angrily tapped on the red antique Italian hand-knotted rug as his father continued to taunt and disrespect him.

"Danny, I-"

"Don't call me Danny," Dante growled through clenched teeth.

"See...this is one of the reasons why you could never become Don. You're too sensitive. Instead of sticking up for yourself like a man, you want to throw an attitude like a bambino. You should've put one right between my eyes and claimed your rightful place as the head of this family, but instead, you're desperately trying not to cry in front of me. It's okay, Dante. Let it all out now so you don't have to cry on Lorenzo's shoulder after you leave out of here."

Lorenzo hated that he was dragged into this and would've preferred for Salvatore to leave him out of it.

"If you let some bullshit like this knock you off your game, then your enemies will have the time of their lives fucking you up the ass. But what do I know? Maybe you like getting fucked up the ass," Salvatore chuckled.

Dante suddenly stood from his seat, not wanting to stick around and be berated any longer.

"Let's go, Enzo."

"You lack initiative, Dante, and you'll always be a follower!" Salvatore shouted out after his retreating son. "Your cousin, Marco, will make a more suitable Don," he called out, causing Dante to stop in his tracks.

"What did you say?" he whispered.

"You heard me the first time. That was my purpose for calling you in today. I am stepping down soon, and your cousin Marco is in line to take over for me."

Dante whirled around and confronted his father.

"Marco is a fucking clown!"

"But he gets the job done, and he has a nice little piece on his side to carry on the Mancini name. Get the fuck outta my office."

Dante stormed out of the office with Lorenzo hot on his tail.

"Hey, don't listen to what he said. He's a miserable old man, and we'll be burying him soon enough."

Dante had no doubt about that.

"I need a drink."

04/14/2022