A Love Like This

Dante watched Eve with an expressionless face. She was in tears as she frantically signed. She was most likely begging for her life, but unfortunately for her, Dante wasn't well-versed in ASL.

"What do you think she's saying?" Lorenzo pondered as he wondered how long Dante would let this go on before he was given the okay to pull the trigger.

"Whatever she's expressing is irrelevant. Be a good friend and pass me the robe on the hook," Dante demanded, not taking his eyes off Eve. He was so lost in her beauty that he barely noticed Trent's pathetic wails echoing from the bedroom.

"What do you need a robe for? Wouldn't it be easier to shoot her in the bathtub?"

"You're not shooting her," Dante murmured as he chased Eve's tears away with his thumb. She trembled underneath his touch. Surprisingly, her fearful response pleased Dante. His heart fastened the faster her tears felt. He'd never witnessed anyone so vulnerable and terrified, not even his mother, who was fearful of her own shadow. Was this how his father felt when his mother cowered before him, shaking and crying, pleading for him to let her go? It was a glorious feeling. Killing Marco and Valeria was invigorating, and he thought it couldn't get any better than that, but this helpless woman was the fucking icing on the cake.

"I think I understand," Lorenzo replied.

"Good," Dante mumbled as his thumb traced the woman's quivering bottom lip.

"You want to drag her out by her hair and shoot her in front of Trent before we shoot him? I understand," Lorenzo proudly boasted.

"Leave us, Enzo."

"Are you serious?"

"Wait with Trent."

"Do you plan on sampling the goods before you off her?"

"I'm not that depraved. We'll be out in a few moments."

Lorenzo reluctantly left the bathroom in a befuddled state. He refused to argue with Dante lest he ends up in the bottom of the bathtub with a bullet between the eyes. Dante didn't speak until they were alone.

"Can you read lips?" Eve furiously nodded through her tears. "Stop crying, or we'll kill Trent."

Eve sucked in her tears, letting out the occasional whimper every now and then.

"Good. Get up," Dante demanded as he stood with the robe. Eve shakily climbed to her feet as she attempted to cover her nakedness, but her efforts were fruitless. Dante's eyes roved over her glistening slender body. It wasn't until he motioned for her to step out of the bathtub onto the black memory foam bathmat that he realized the woman was pure perfection. He gently slid the fluffy white luxury robe onto her body to protect her from the cold. "What is your name? Can you talk?"

Eve could speak; however, at that moment, Eve had difficulty forming the words. Her eyes ticked to the fogged mirror.

"Would it be easier for you to write your name?"

Yes

"Very well."

Dante released her and watched as she gracefully walked to the mirror. He didn't know if the swaying of her hips were natural or deliberate, but he was pressed to find out. He intently watched her as she ran her finger through the condensation.

"Eve," Dante muttered to himself before licking his bottom lip when her robe slightly opened, revealing an erect nipple. She gasped once she caught her reflection in the mirror and covered herself.

"I'm going to have to get used to speaking to myself," Dante sighed as he wrote his name in the mirror. He had barely finished when Eve scribbled out a message. "I'm not going to kill you," Dante said while facing the mirror, making sure Eve could read his lips. Eve placed her hand on her chest and breathed a sigh of relief. "I am going to kill Trent, though."

"No!" Eve shouted. She snatched up a nail file and shakily pointed it toward Dante.

"What are you going to do with that little thing, Eve? Are you going to stab me?"

"If I must," she proclaimed, in that tone that deaf people used because they couldn't hear themselves talk.

"That's cute," Dante chuckled before snatching the nail file out of her hand. Eve screamed when Dante lodged the nail file into the flesh of her thigh.

"Eve!" Trent panicked from the bedroom. He could only imagine what horrors Dante was putting her through. He would never forgive himself. Especially since Eve told him it was a bad idea to fuck with the Italians.

"Shut the fuck up," Lorenzo drawled as he lit a cigarette. Lorenzo wasn't in the mood for a dead man's groveling pleas for mercy. "Dante! Hurry up in there! It's my turn with the bitch. I haven't gotten my dick wet in a few weeks!" Lorenzo shouted, causing Trent to cry in anguish. They wouldn't do that, but Trent didn't know that. "Finally! Let's get this show on the road," Lorenzo clapped once Dante dragged the woman out of the bathroom by her hair. He let out a low whistle as Eve gave Dante hell. He winced when she punched Dante in the balls.

"Eve! Run, baby!" Trent shouted, completely grasping at straws.

"You fucking bitch!" Dante gasped as he dropped to a knee. Lorenzo chuckled as she crawled on her knees towards Trent.

"Eve, I lov-"

Trent's sentence was cut off when Dante shot him in the head, spraying blood and brain matter across Eve's face.

For Eve, time came to a complete standstill. Her mind couldn't process that the love of her life was gone. The metallic tones of his blood settled on her tongue and lips. Her eyes burned from the spray of blood that repeatedly forced her to blink. His exposed skull would forever haunt her dreams. Eve couldn't believe it. She lost her everything. Trent filled multiple roles in her life; best friend, lover, and partner. They had a genuine love, not the complicated, dramatic hood love you saw in the movies. He was her Romeo to her Juliet, and she knew she would never ever experience a love like that.

"She passed out. Should I end her now? She won't feel it," Lorenzo asserted.

"No, that won't be necessary," Dante answered as he adjusted her robe.

"Danny? What are you doing?" Lorenzo frantically asked once Dante scooped Eve up.

"What does it look like I'm doing? I'm taking her back to Italy with me."

08/13/2022

Author's Corner

How do you think Eve will react once she realizes they aren't in New York any longer?

What are our feelings about Lorenzo?

How do you think Dante's father will react to Eve's presence?