Italy

Lorenzo glared at Eve from his seat. His throat still throbbed from her attempt to crush his windpipe.

Do you see something you like?

"I don't understand sign language," Lorenzo gruffly replied.

"You should learn," Eve spoke.

"It would be a waste. Plus, I already know all that I need to know," Lorenzo insisted, shooting Eve his middle finger.

"Stop antagonizing Eve," Dante tiredly sighed from beside her. He made the mistake of mixing alcohol and narcotics and could feel himself slipping through the veil of consciousness.

"You're already taking her side over mine," Lorenzo snarled.

"No, but just as a reminder, she is not restrained. Do what you will with that information," Dante slurred.

"She needs to be locked up like the fucking animal that she is!" Eve playfully curled her fingers into paws before growling at Lorenzo. "Real fucking cute," Lorenzo spat. "You're going to be in for a rude awakening once we land. So get it all out while you can. You're gonna break," Lorenzo warned.

Eve darted her eyes to Dante who had passed out during their hostile exchange. His chest barely rose and fell as he took shallow breaths. Eve couldn't help but wonder if Dante had taken one more pill and drank a little more alcohol if he would've suffered an accidental overdose.

Lorenzo's eyes narrowed as Eve slithered out of her seat and approached him. His hand flew to his holster just in case she tried any funny shit.

"Are you afraid of me?" Eve asked as she signed.

"Honestly?" She nodded. "Yes...I am afraid of you."

"But why?" Eve asked with a curious head tilt.

"Because you haven't even fucked Dante yet and you have him eating out of your hands."

Eve humorlessly chuckled. She was losing it. She couldn't believe these were the same men that killed Trey. They were pussies in nice suits. Eve kneeled in front of Lorenzo's parted legs and placed her hands on his thighs. He tensed under her touch, especially when her sharp nails dug into him.

"Can you imagine what will happen if I do fuck him?" Eve paused to allow Lorenzo to answer, but he quietly seethed instead. "I'll tell you what will happen. You'll become obsolete, and it'll only be a matter of time before he turns on you. Dante doesn't even respect you. I have to give you props. You tried to warn him about me but...at the end of the day...he doesn't trust you. Instead, he's putting his trust in his rival."

"Is that what you are, Eve? Dante's rival?"

"For now...until he has convinced me otherwise," she diplomatically answered. "I'm going to let you in on a little secret, Enzo." Lorenzo bristled when Eve addressed him by his nickname. "As the great Megan thee Stallion has said, pussy got power. Now, unless there's something you're not telling me, that means I will always be above you in the hierarchy--him too," Eve said, motioning her head towards Dante who was slouched in his seat. "So...if I were you, I'd be very careful. We can do this the easy way or the hard way. What's it going to be?"

Lorenzo smirked. He leaned in until their noses nearly touched. Eve slightly pulled away so she could read his lips. "It's not often that you can see inside a man's mind, but we saw inside Trey's, huh?" Lorenzo roughly whispered. He stared at Eve and waited for a reaction, but there wasn't one. Her face remained expressionless. He at least expected a wince of repulsion or anger--nothing.

"And a beautiful mind it was. You might have taken his life, but you'll never take his spirit. I'll always have that," Eve expressed before smoothly returning to her seat.

Lorenzo detested Eve with a passion. She was too mysterious--already proved she was toxic, and her calmness under pressure was alarming. Lorenzo hated to admit it, but Eve was everything Dante needed to be if he wanted to be Don.

***

It was late at night when they arrived in Italy, and Dante had yet to fully rouse from his stupor. The SUV was dark, making it difficult for Eve to communicate with Lorenzo. She fished Dante's phone out of the inside of his suit jacket and texted Lorenzo.

Dante/Eve: I'm hungry.

Lorenzo: Don't give a fuck.

Dante/Eve: You didn't feed me the entire flight.

Lorenzo: You're not rewarded for bad behavior.

Dante/Eve: Food is a basic human right. Even prisoners are fed. Tell the driver to stop at McDonald's right there.

Lorenzo: No.

Dante/Eve: What have I told you about doing things the easy way or the hard way?

Lorenzo: Your threats mean nothing to me.

Dante/Eve: Dante is sleeping so peacefully. It'll be a shame if he never opens his eyes again.

Lorenzo: You're bluffing.

Lorenzo's eyes narrowed when Eve pressed the tip of Dante's switchblade against his throat. A small trail of blood began to trickle down Dante's neck as Eve pressed the blade into his flesh.

"Driver! Stop at the McDonald's!" Lorenzo called out. Eve smirked when the driver made a sharp right into the parking lot. Lorenzo's eyes focused on Eve. The inside of the SUV was now dimly lit by the lights from the drive-thru. He knew they were dealing with a fucked up woman, but he didn't know how fucked up until he watched Eve lick the blood trail from the base of Dante's throat to the cut. She finished by sucking his blood off the tip of the blade.

"Delicious," she purred.

***

Eve's eyes widened in fascination as they entered the compound. She hungrily munched on her salty fries as she took in the impressive residence. Eve had already made up in her mind that it would all be hers one day. She jumped out of the SUV as soon as it came to a stop. All she had was a half-eaten bag of McDonald's and a switchblade to her name. It was then that everything began to settle. Eve had nothing; therefore, she felt like nothing. Her soul mate? Gone. Her weapons, clothing, shoes, jewelry, and personal mementos? Gone. As if they never existed. Most of it was material belongings and could be replaced, but Trey and her sense of belonging and familiarity could not.

Eve knew she'd have to do what she did best and adjust. It was the only way she'd survive.

Eve snapped to when Lorenzo roughly grabbed her by her arm and led her inside. She turned back to see a few men help Dante out of the SUV. Eve's mouth dropped once they entered the mansion that could better be described as a palace. She instantly formed the impression that the Mancinis were richer than God. Gold and crystal dripped from the ceilings. Her bare feet touched the cool polished marble that showed her reflection. Eve's neck painfully ached from how far back she craned her neck to see the ornate paintings on the ceilings. She felt she was in the Sistine Chapel. Eve's amazement came to a sudden halt when a red-faced older gentleman came storming their way. She immediately recognized him as Dante's father. It had to be. The men were almost carbon copies.

Eve gave her attention to Lorenzo after he rapidly tapped her on the shoulder.

"Don't say a fucking word," he slowly mouthed to her. 

10/12/2022

Author's Corner

What's it going to be, Lorenzo? The easy way or the hard way?

Will Eve take Lorenzo's advice and not speak?