TrackingPoint

Before anyone could react, Dante reached across the table, wrapped his fist around Marco's tie, and yanked him down, bashing his chin onto the table. Marco attempted to fight back but chose otherwise when Dante stabbed his trusty switchblade a mere centimeter from the tip of his nose. 

Lorenzo continued to shovel food onto his plate and watched in amusement. Valeria screamed her head off, begging for someone to help.

"Shut the fuck up, you cow!" Lorenzo snapped, causing the woman to go from ear-piercing shrieks to whimpering. "That's more like it," Lorenzo added before shoving a piece of bacon into his mouth.

"You and my father are fucking delusional if you think you'll be the next Don of La Cosa Nostra. I promise you'll never wear the crown or sit on the throne. Your rank blood will flow down the streets and pollute the gutters!" Dante growled in Marco's ear before releasing him. Dante stormed out of the dining room, looking to settle the score with his father. Lorenzo chased behind him with his plate of food, not wanting to miss a single Kodak moment.

"You won't get away with this, Dante! You're nothing, and you'll always be nothing! When people think of La Cosa Nostra, they'll think of me! They'll fear me, just as you do! I am the future of this organization! Do you fucking hear me?! I'll have you ex-communicated as soon as I'm sworn in!"

Dante rolled his eyes and ignored his cousin's useless blatherings. They were screeches of a mad man who was at the end of his life cycle but didn't know it yet.

"Dante? You're not about to do anything stupid, are you?" Lorenzo asked, finally catching up.

"Define the word 'stupid.'"

"Cut it out. There's no time for games," Lorenzo reprimanded.

"I know this all too well," Dante muttered, rounding the corner down the hallway that led to his father's private office. Dante stormed into Salvatore's office without knocking, catching him in the middle of an intense conversation with Tomas, his father's righthand man.

"Clear the room, Tomas and Lorenzo. I have a feeling my son wants to air his grievances."

They obliged, leaving the two men to sort out their differences. Dante stared at his father with his lip curled in disgust. Salvatore found it amusing.

"Did you enjoy breakfast with your cousin?"

"Why would you bring him here?" Dante growled.

"Not that I answer to you, but Marco is here for training. You already know what my intentions are. Now leave. I don't have time to entertain your rhetorical questions. Also, Marco will be tagging along with you on your assigned duties. That includes your meeting tonight with the Russians."

Dante stared at his father until he erupted in laughter. Seconds later, he was wiping tears from his eyes. "You're really trying to replace me. Just like that?"

"I need action, son. You gave it your best shot, but it's not good enough. Step aside and let Marco give it a try. I don't want any trouble out of you, Dante."

"I'm being demoted," Dante growled once the realization began to set in.

"What are you going to do about it, then?"

Dante glowered at his father until he couldn't stand the sight of him any longer. He stormed out of the office and didn't bother commenting when Tomas and Lorenzo tried scurrying away as if they hadn't been eavesdropping on their conversation. Dante didn't give a fuck. The entire organization was about to discover he was a failure and would be replaced by an idiot egomaniac.

**********

"I can't believe he's late," Dante growled as they waited for Marco to make his arrival. "This is the man he wants to lead the organization one day? He can't make it to a single weapons deal on time!"

"Yeah, this wasn't the best move in your father's playbook," Lorenzo confessed as he finished off his third cigarette since their arrival. The representatives sent from the Bratva were starting to get antsy, and antsiness was the last thing needed at an arms deal, especially when the bastards had already put down half of the funds for deposit. "I think we should go ahead and get started. Give them their fucking weapons, take the money, and send them on their way."

"Agreed," Dante sighed, adjusting his tie as he stood to his feet. "I'm sorry for the wait, gentlemen, but we're going to get started without my partner."

Dante nearly cringed when he said, 'partner.'

Thirty minutes into the deal, which was running smoother than Dante anticipated after the delay, Marco came swaggering in with his woman and a few men.

"Did you seriously bring your pregnant bitch with you to a fucking arms deal?" Lorenzo asked in shock and disgust. Anything could happen. It was never an ideal situation when money and weapons were involved. The deal could go south, and they could die in a hail of bullets at any moment. Lorenzo's eyes ticked over to Dante. Dante had a relaxed and calm expression on his face, which worried Lorenzo the most.

"It's okay. It's okay, Lorenzo. I'm glad she is here so that she can learn just in case something happens to our future Don. Please have a seat. We are just now getting to the demonstration part."

Lorenzo furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. 

"This rifle is one of the deadliest rifles you can own. It uses the same smart technology as TrackingPoint. The accuracy of this firearm is unheard of. The gun makes calculations to ensure the user takes only the most effective and accurate shots. I'll demonstrate."

Lorenzo curiously watched as Dante loaded the rifle while he walked several yards away. Lorenzo thought his jaw would be permanently unhinged when a bullet entered Marco's forehead and traveled through Valeria's. The couple simultaneously slumped over the conference table, spewing blood and brain matter. Dante didn't hesitate to take out Marco's men.

"This concludes our live demonstration. What do you say?" Dante asked, directing his attention to the leader of the Russians.

"I say we'll take the weapons and put us down for more. In fact, double the next order. It was an absolute pleasure doing business with you, Dante," the man said in a thick-Russian accent as he shook Dante's hand. "The Petrov family will be very pleased."

"Thank you for your patience and understanding. We look forward to doing more business with you."

06/27/2022

Author's Corner

Dante's father better quit playing with him 😂