Blue Steel

Lorenzo stared at Dante as they rode back to the compound. He didn't like what he saw. To Lorenzo, Dante, at that moment, was the spitting image of his father. Lorenzo didn't know if Salvatore would be elated or displeased by Dante's actions. Killing Marco and Valeria was unexpected, and Lorenzo feared that Dante wouldn't stop there to achieve his goal of becoming Don of La Cosa Nostra.

"I know I'm handsome, Enzo, but it's impolite to stare."

"I'm sure Marco and Valeria would say it's impolite to blow someone's head off for being a little late. Not to mention the bitch was pregnant."

"They're not doing much talking now, huh?" Dante snorted as he lit his cigarette.

"But the baby-"

"Fuck that baby!" Dante growled, causing Lorenzo's eyes to widen.

"Dante...have you thought about the repercussions of your actions? Your uncle will want retribution for his only son's death. Then there's Valeria's family. I don't know much about them, but they'll want your head. I know I would."

"So, let them come. They'll meet the same fate."

Lorenzo released a heavy sigh once he received a barrage of explosive text messages from Salvatore regarding the death of his nephew.

"Your father wants to speak to you as soon as we arrive. Please, don't make him come looking for you."

"Are you suggesting that I would tuck my tail and run from the old man?"

"Absolutely not, but I do see you blowing him off."

"Nonsense. Make sure the bodies of the deceased are delivered to their parents for a proper burial."

"You're going to turn into him one of these days. And the troubling part is that it's going to be soon. You won't be able to recognize yourself. Hell, I barely recognize you."

"Thank you for your concern, Enzo. Relax before you go grey."

"I don't have to worry about going grey because my head will be removed clean from my shoulders."

"I wouldn't let that happen."

"Dante...as good as your intentions are, I would be a fool to put all of my trust in you."

Dante nodded his head in understanding. You could never put too much faith in a man. Believing there was a higher power was tough enough already. How could one put all their faith and trust in an entity that would allow such cruelty and lawlessness that happen in the world? Then again, Dante contributed to the same corruption, so he couldn't be too bent out of shape. Man was infallible and imperfect. Dante would always have Lorenzo's back, but he wasn't his savior, and he wasn't Superman.

Dante took long drags of his cigarette as the chauffeur drove them back to the compound.

"Oh, shit," Lorenzo mumbled.

"What's going on, Enzo?" Dante asked, not taking his eyes off the passing scenery. The lights of the city had him transfixed. He couldn't take his eyes away.

"This fucking gang in New York is giving our guys there a hard fucking time."

"Define 'hard fucking time' for me," Dante urged.

"A hard fucking time, as in they ripped off a truck that was packed to the brim with cocaine. The driver and the guards were ambushed and killed except for one survivor."

Dante silently nodded his head and finished his cigarette. He leaned forward and knocked on the partition until the driver lowered it.

"Yes, Mr. Mancini?"

"Take us to the airport."

"Dante? What are you doing? We have to meet with your father."

"My father can wait. We need to handle business in New York. He said he wanted to see some initiative, so this is me showing initiative."

Lorenzo didn't bother arguing with Dante. He took his own initiative and texted the head of their New York chapter to prepare for war.

"I want you to fill me in on this little gang that thinks they can get over on La Cosa Nostra and live to tell the tale about it."

"They're called the Blue Steel Crips, who operate out of Brooklyn."

"This doesn't make any sense. Don't we have an agreement with these fuckers? They stay on their side of town, we stay on our side of town, and everyone is happy. Now, they're jacking our fucking trucks and killing our men all of a sudden?"

"I can't tell you what's changed. Maybe it's greed or new management that doesn't want to abide by our terms and conditions."

"That's fine. They don't want to be honorable men? Then we won't either."

"I understand, Dante," Lorenzo confirmed as he continued preparing for their arrival. It was apparent that Dante was still riled up from earlier. He had a taste of blood and craved more. Honestly, Lorenzo didn't mind. He prayed that Dante would work out all of his frustration in America and leave it behind on American soil. 

07/17/2022

Author's Note

Hopefully, there won't be severe repercussions for Dante...

Dante and Eve will meet in the next chapter.