Chapter 5: Secret Secret

The second Jisung entered his apartment building, he ran to Seungmin's door, knocking more enthusiastically than usual. Seungmin opened the door a few seconds later, disapproval stone on his face, "So, how's your dancing boyfriend?"

Jisung could feel his face heat up at his best friend's off-put comment, "He's not my boyfriend." Seungmin snorted. Jisung continued, "Look, do you want to come over or not?"

Seungmin's face lit up, already forgotten his upset facade from earlier, "Yeah, I'll meet you over there in a sec, lemme grab the multimeter." Seungmin ran back into his house.

Jisung made his way back down the hall to his door. Opening his door to a clean and quiet apartment was expected at this time of day. He looked at the clock on the stove: 4:37 pm. His mom doesn't get home for another few hours or so.

Seungmin swung open his door, a giddy smile on his face. Jisung immediately noticed the black and yellow device he had in one of his hands, along with a notepad and pen. "You ready to test your limits?" Jisung sat down at the dining room table.

Seungmin followed suit, opening his notebook and clicking the pen, "Okay, first things first, today is Thursday, the twenty-first of October. How are you feeling today?" Seungmin said in his narration voice, he always got like this when he was doing one of his experiments.

Seungmin continued, "And please be as accurate and specific as possible. Are you feeling more electric than usual on this fine day?"

Jisung looked lost, "Uhhh, no? I don't ever feel electric."

Seungmin nodded his head before furiously writing something in his notebook. "Okay, usual." Seungmin kept writing, murmuring a few things to himself that Jisung couldn't understand. "I checked the barometer earlier, and it is one thousand seventeen millibars, and humidity is negligible." He said as he brought the device over to Jisung.

Jisung looked at the multimeter; it looked like a TI-84 calculator but with a bunch of wires and clamps attached to it. Seungmin took two of the clamps and held them out to Jisung, "Put these on the tips of your fingers."

Jisung looked up at him exasperated, "What? No way, those things look sharp, like crocodile teeth."

Seungmin rolled his eyes, "Do you want this to be accurate or not? It's only for a minute or two. Just do it, please."

Jisung huffed, "Fine," he clamped the two black wires to the ends of his index fingers. They bit into his skin but not enough to draw blood, and it was just uncomfortable.

Seungmin sat back down and wrote a few more things into his notebook, "Okay, now don't do anything until I tell you to."

"Okay, but hurry up. These hurt."

Seungmin set his pen down and picked up the multimeter, looking at Jisung. He said, "Alright, when I say 'go,' I want you to pulse as hard as possible. Ready?"

Jisung nodded, anxious to get the clamps off.

"Okay. Five, four, three, two ... wait."

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing, the screen just went blank." Seungmin furrowed his brows in concentration, pushing his glasses up his nose as he punched a few buttons on the device, "Okay. Five, four, three, two, one, go!"

Jisung surged as hard as he could. The snap of electricity filled the room, and the lights around the apartment flickered off for a second before turning back on.

Seungmin's eyes widened, "Holy shit." He set down the device before lurching for his notebook and pen, scrambling something frantically in the notebook, "You just produced eight hundred and twenty-five volts."