Chapter 73: Uncovered

Two undercover police cars were still parked on Minho's street when they returned, though not the same vehicles or officers. Jisung figured that there must have been a shift change.

They turned onto the road past Minho's, drove to the end of the street, turned, and then again passed Minho's street, parking on Hampton Road, which ran along the south side of Miroh High. Fortunately, there was enough light from the moon that the three of us wouldn't be standing out like walking glowsticks.

Jeongin took one last long look around as they got out of the car and made their way along the school's wood-slat fence to Minho's backyard, about seventy-five yards from their car.

"It's right here," Minho said. He walked up to the wooden fence and ran his hand down it until he found the loose slats and pulled two of them aside. "I can't believe that after all these years, no one's ever fixed this thing."

"Do they have a dog?" Gervaso asked.

"No dogs," Jeongin said before Minho could answer.

"There's a woman inside playing the piano. And a cat."

"That's Mrs. Shim," Minho said. "She teaches piano to half the kids in the neighborhood. Her husband owns some kind of metal-working place, so he's always working late."

"Is anyone in Minho's home?" Gervaso asked Jeongin.

"No. Still vacant."

"What about their cars?"

"They're still there."

"I wonder where she is," Minho said. "If she's at work, her car wouldn't be there."

"She's not at work," Gervaso said. "Remember, she's been suspended."

"What if she doesn't come back tonight?" Jisung asked.

"If she's not back by tomorrow, we'll have to hunt her down," Gervaso said.

"Maybe she went on vacation," Jeongin suggested.

"With his wife just incarcerated?" Gervaso said. "I doubt it. Not if she loves her."

"Of course she loves her," Minho said tersely.

They crossed the back of the neighbor's yard, then, on all fours, crawled into Minho's backyard behind an overgrown hedge. It appeared that all the lights were off except for one—a small dome light in the kitchen.

"Are we still safe?" Gervaso asked.

"Still safe," Jeongin said.

"Does your home have an alarm system?"

"It didn't," Minho said.

"If they installed one, they would put stickers on the windows," Gervaso said. "Jeongin, can you see an alarm?"

"I don't see any wires around the door."

"How about motion detectors?"

"Not that I can see."

"All right," Gervaso said. "Just be prepared."

"I'll get the key," Minho said. He crept up to the back door, then squatted down and looked under a stone, lifting the key from beneath it. Then she got up, unlocked the door, and went inside.

"You're next, Jisung," Gervaso said. "Then Jeongin."

"Okay," He said. Jisung stood, ran to the door, and slipped inside.

There was a single light on above the kitchen sink. Minho was standing at the side of the kitchen, looking at a large family photograph on the wall.

"I can't believe I'm finally home," he said. Then he reached out to him. "Come with me. I want to see my room."