Chapter 11: Congratulations! Oh no.

Jisung made his way to the front office about as enthusiastically as someone on their way to the electric chair. His hands twisted the nonexistent rings on his fingers. The white indents still can be seen if you look. As he entered, the secretary Mrs. Choi, greeted him with a plastered smile. "Han Jisung, Mr. Park will be right with you. Take a seat."

He swallowed. He was afraid about the reason why they had called him. He didn't have a clue as to why Mr. Park wanted to see him. He hasn't caused any so-called trouble for days.

A moment later, Mr. Park appeared from his office with a bright smile. That's not good. "Jisung! Lovely to see you. Come on in."

He silently made his way inside. Mr. Park was seated in his chair.

"Have a seat," he said, gesturing to the chair in front of his desk. "How's school going?"Jisung looked at him, wondering if some alien being had taken over his body. He slowly sat down. "It's fine."

"Great. I just wanted to tell you that your detention has been canceled. I'm sorry about that little misunderstanding. Mr. Seo and his cohorts will be making up their required time in detention. I guarantee they won't be bothering you anymore."

"Oh." It was all he could think to say. "Thank you."

Mr. Park stood and walked around his desk to him, putting his hand on Jisung's shoulder.

"Jisung, we're proud that you're a member of our student body."

Now he was sure he was being punked. "You are?"

"Absolutely, we are." Mr. Park leaned back against his desk. "Jisung, I have some terrific news. Two of Meridian's pupils have been awarded the prestigious J. Y. Park Scholarship to the acclaimed Elgen Academy in Seoul. And you are one of them." He stuck out his hand. "Congratulations."

Jisung gulped. How had they found both of them? He timidly offered his hand. When he could speak, he asked, "Why me?"

"Why not you?" Mr. Park said. "Elgen Academy selects their elite student body using a closely guarded process that involves scholarship, citizenship, and character. I am told that this is the first time in the academy's illustrious history that two students have been invited to the academy from the same city—let alone the same school. We are very proud indeed."

"I don't know what to say." Jisung was beginning to panic.

"Say hurray!" he said. "This is the chance of a lifetime! The academy's board will be contacting your parents directly and extending the offer. I'm certain that they'll be as proud and excited as we are."

"It's just my mom," He said. He was suddenly very fearful for her.

"And, Jisung, the best part is that your good fortune is shared by the entire student body of Miroh High. If you and the other student accept this remarkable offer, our school will be given a two-hundred-million-won grant to use however we best see fit. We could restock our library, refinish the basketball court floor, procure new music stands, buy new wrestling mats, and still have plenty to go around." He leaned forward. "This is the biggest thing ever to happen to Miroh High. Your picture will surely be hung proudly in the Hall of Fame."

Jisung gulped, "and if I choose not to accept?"

"That would be very foolish of you." He swore he could hear a hint of a threat in his tone. "Why would you pass up on a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity?" He paused. "I'm sure we can count on you to make the right choice, can't we?"

He was frozen in his seat. Mind racing of all the factors this could mean. What it could mean for his safety. His brown bangs swept into his eyes as he looked down at his lap, where his hands were gripping the edges of the chair like a lifeline.