Chapter 56: Fiesta

The Ampere rocked from the explosion's shock wave. At first, Jisung thought the massive blast was from their own explosives, but when he realized they were all still there, he figured something else must have happened.

"Holy shit!" Changbin shouted. "What was that?"

Sirens from the dock began wailing.

Seungmin ran to the portal and looked out. "It's the Watt!" he shouted.

He ran over to look for himself.

From the light of the fires, he could see that the top deck of the Watt was blown off, and smoke and fire were billowing up into the black sky. What was left of the boat was disappearing into the sea.

"It's sinking," he said.

"Jisung, you're glowing," Minho said.

He looked down. His skin was glowing a pale white, and electricity was sparking between his legs and arms, and fingers. "What's happening?"

"What should I do with the bomb?" Hyunjin shouted. He had cooled down, but his arms were still wrapped around the explosive.

"Hold on," he said. "Changbin, where are the guards?"

"Mostly on their faces!" he shouted.

Suddenly a massive bolt of lightning burst past our door, illuminating the engine room like the flash"of an arc welder. Then there was another.

"The corridor's clear!" Changbin shouted. "The guards are down."

Suddenly someone pounded on the engine room door. Yeji's face appeared in the window. "Come on, you idiots!" she shouted. "Let's go!"

Changbin opened the door. "Where'd you come from?"

"Someplace a lot better than this," she said.

Then Chan stuck his head in the doorway. "Hey, where did you guys get the nifty sailor duds?"

"You came back," Jisung said.

"You thought we'd let you have all the fun? Let's get out of here."

"Wait," he said. "Hyunjin, how much time do we have on the bomb?"

Hyunjin pulled back the flap. "Eighteen minutes and twelve seconds."

"Hide it!"

"I'll do it," Seungmin said. He took the pack to the back of the engine room and shoved it behind the engine, then returned. "We're good."

Outside the engine room door, a handful of guards started to rally.

"Yeji!" He shouted. "A little help."

"You got it," she said.

"I've got them," Minho said.

He looked back out, and the guards were standing in the corridor, looking around in different directions. He made a lightning ball about the size of a watermelon and threw it down the hall. It blew up around them like a grenade, scattering them like bowling pins.

"Vámonos!" Yeji said.

They followed Chan and Yeji out of the engine room, then back up the utility stairway to the deck, which was crowded with sailors who had been woken by the Watt's explosion and had rushed to the deck to see what was happening. In the darkness and commotion, few of them even noticed them. He and Chan easily took care of those who did. They ran to the side of the boat where they had left their rope.

Chan looked over the railing. "I hate water," he said.

"Someone better go down first," he said, "and make sure our raft's still there."