6 Weeks

It had been 6 weeks since you were born and your mother hadn't let you out of her sight ever since. You were constantly with her, everywhere she went you were there too. This was starting to make your sisters frustrated, well Bela and Cassandra at least. Daniela seemed to enjoy not having her mother around with everything she did. A few vases had already broken in the meantime, but mother didn't seem to pay attention to it.

For Bela and Cassandra, however, it was different. It had only been a few weeks but they already missed their mother. Alcina usually had some tasks for the girls or would praise them for whatever work they did but now their mother was too busy fussing over you. Much to your sisters' annoyance.

For the first time in weeks, there had been a meeting with Mother Miranda. Alcina was reluctant to go, but the priestess had insisted she'd come, ensuring her daughter nothing would happen if she left you alone with your sisters for a few hours.

Daniela had immediately walked away as soon as your mother left the castle, saying she had better things to do than watch over you. Cassandra had quickly followed her sister without saying a word, which left Bela to attend to you. She sighed, looking at you. "I'm only doing this because Mother asked us to, don't think I care about you one bit." She told you, more reassuring  herself than you.

Bela took you to one of the lounge rooms, putting you down on the couch next to her so she could read a book in silence. You'd fallen asleep for about an hour, Bela feeling slightly proud that she hadn't had any problems with you so far, until you woke up and started crying heavily. At first she ignored you, thinking you would stop after a while. But after some time, you still kept crying. Your sister rolled her eyes as she told you to shut it but you still kept crying. Sighing in frustration, she decided to check what was wrong.

Bela started panicking when, after trying everything your mother had told them to do if you cried, didn't work. She'd fed you, tried to soothe you, changed you, but nothing worked and you just started crying harder. As a last resort, Bela picked you up and rocked you back and forth, softly singing a lullaby she'd heard your mother sing to you.

'Wolves asleep amidst the trees
Bats all swaying in the breeze
But one soul lies anxious, wide awake
Fearing all manner of ghouls, hags and wraiths.'

Hearing the song made you calm down a bit, reducing you to sobbing instead of crying. Your sister continued the lullaby.

‘For your dolly polly sleep has flown
Don't dare let her tremble alone
For the Witcher
Heartless cold
Paid in coin of gold
He comes, he'll go, leave naught behind
But heartache and woe
Deep, deep woe’

This caused you to completely calm down. "That's it, little one. Don't cry." She mused as she made silly faces to cheer you up. You stared at her and suddenly giggled as you excitedly kicked your feet, which caused Bela to look at you in shock.

Did you really just smile, and giggle? You hadn't done that before, ever! Bela had just witnessed your first smile and she caused it! Realising this, your sister started to smile brightly. "Good job, little one!" She cheered. You started to giggle again, moving excitedly in her arms and it warmed Bela's heart.

As if summoned, the sound of the entrance hall door opening echoed through the house. "Let's show Mother your dazzling smile." She carefully adjusted you in her arms and walked to the main hall. As she walked back, she whispered to you. “I’m sorry I was mean to you earlier. I didn’t mean to, I was just… jealous.” You stared back at her with your big, golden eyes as if understanding what she just said. (Which you didn’t, of course.)

"Mother!" Bela called as she entered the main hall. Alcina was already heading upstairs, looking for her daughters. She frowned as she noticed Bela was taking care of you all by herself.

"Where are your sisters?" The tall woman questioned as she marched over to you and Bela. The blonde just raised her shoulders.

"No idea, they went away as soon as you left, Mother… they left me in charge of her." She answered. "But look what Y/N did today!"

Alcina raised an eyebrow, but she was pleased to see Bela had started to grow fond of you. She patiently waited for what was about to happen. Your sister tickled you lightly as she made silly faces. At first you didn't respond, causing your mother to chuckle when she saw how weird Bela was acting. When your sister tried again, Alcina finally heard and saw it; you started giggling and kicking again.

"See, she's smiling!" Bela exclaimed as she continued tickling you.

Your mother smiled brightly. "Oh, look at that! How good of you, Y/N!" The tall woman bent over you and your sister, patting Bela on her head as she proudly looked at you. "Look who has the most beautiful smile!" You kept laughing as Bela continued to make silly faces.

"Can I watch her more often, Mother?" Bela's face lightened up. Your mother chuckled.

"Of course, my dear. I'm sure little Y/N would love to spend more time with her big sister."

Just then, your two other sisters swarmed into the main hall when they heard all the commotion. "What's going on?" Daniela asked excitedly as she skipped over to the three of you.

"Y/N smiled for the first time!" Bela responded, causing Cassandra to huff.

"That's all? There's nothing special about smiling." The brunette rolled her eyes, still standing a small distance away from the rest of the family.

Alcina stood up straight, looking at her with a frown. "It is special for a 1,5 month old baby." She didn't expect her daughters to be this jealous. Bela now seemed to be over it and Daniela appeared to not have been jealous at all, just unbothered. But Cassandra was an entirely different case. She hadn't even as much as looked at you for the past few weeks.

"Come on, Cassi! Look at how adorable she looks." Daniela squealed, pointing at you. But the second eldest just shook her head.

"I'll pass, thanks." She said before swarming away, making the other three women stare at her in confusion. A maid pulled them out of their thoughts.

"My Ladies, should we start preparing your dinner?" The young lady asked and Alcina nodded.

"Yes, we will be right there." She said as Bela handed you back to your mother and all of you went to the dining room.

A/N I first used an actual children's lullaby, but then I remembered Maggie singing this so I just imagined Lady D singing it to her children :)