9 Years Old

"Did you pack everything?"

"No, I forgot my jacket!" You say as you rushed past a few maids, going back to your room.

Today you finally were allowed to stay with uncle Sal! Sure, you've spent time with him whenever you accompanied your mother to one of their meetings, or when you got to go with grandma to pick up supplies from his reservoir. However, you never actually got to stay at his home. You've never even seen his house as you always met outside on the docks.

You've been asking about it for a few years now, but your mother never faltered. Instead she offered to let you stay at Donna's, which you've done many times over the years.

Karl and Salvatore were always off the table, however.

Now it seems that your mother had finally changed her mind. Not about Heisenberg, no, but staying at Moreau for one night was fine by her. Not any longer, though. Who knows you might end up sick over there if you stay for a long amount of time.

You find the jacket discarded on the floor somewhere, a small voice in your head chastising you for leaving it there. You quickly grab it and rush back to your mother who's waiting at the front gate.

"Now you have everything?" She asks as you reach her. You nod, smiling from ear to ear. "Good girl." Alcina reached out to hold your hand, two maids following you both to carry your bags as you make your way to the carriage waiting in front of the castle. Your bags are flung in the back compartment of the carriage as the driver holds the door open for you to enter.

"I'm sorry I won't accompany you all the way to the reservoir, darling." Your mother says, placing a soft kiss on your forehead.

"That's okay, Mama! I'm a big girl, I can go there myself." You answer with a toothy smile, making her chuckle.

"Indeed, you already are." Her tone has a hint of melancholia in it. Those nine years flew by in a blink of an eye, remembering when you were just a small baby in her arms. Completely dependent on her. "Remember, if there is anything, do not hesitate to call me."

"I know, Mama." You answer obediently, before she helps you into the carriage.

Lady Dimitrescu turns to the driver. "If anything happens to her--"

"I will make sure nothing happens, milady." He bows his head in respect. You hear her threat and speak up.

"Geralt has been working for us for so long, Mama. I trust him." The older man gives you a small, thankful smile, before turning his gaze back to his boss.

Your mother hums, saying nothing to the man as she turns to you. She says her final goodbye to you along with a wave, before turning back to the castle as the carriage drives away.

You've noticed the slight change in your mother's behavior ever since your last examination with Miranda. Whatever that conversation had been about, it made an impact on her. Alcina had always been protective of you, especially since you were her youngest and most vulnerable daughter. But now it had increased even more. You weren't allowed to roam the castle all alone, a maid or one of your sisters would be near you at all times, nor did you visit your grandma as often. You did still visit and nothing would be different, you would help her with whatever project she was working on, but their relationship seemed... strained.

Different.

Which is why you were surprised she finally caved and let you stay at your uncle's. But whatever the reason was, you didn't mind. You were just thrilled to be going!

After making it through the narrow paths around the village, you finally arrive at uncle Moreau's reservoir. The giant windmills always catch your eye first. You find them fascinating and have asked your uncle about their purpose. He said it had something to do with the water, regulating it... whatever that meant.