6 Years Old

The Castle wasn't always the safest place for you to be. Lately, more and more foreigners accidentally stumbled upon the village, usually men who were out to hunt but eventually got lost in the thick forest. And those men weren't exactly pacifists, to say the least.

Since the castle was so... outstanding among everything else in view, they would usually seek it out first. That's why, most of the time, you would stay with your Aunt Donna when this happened. But now even Donna was troubled with these foreigners and since Alcina didn't trust you with either Karl or Moreau, she had no choice but to ask Mother Miranda to watch you. The blonde never fought the foreigners herself, she always commanded her children to do so.

Miranda had agreed with some slight reluctance. She was happy to take care of a child again after such a long time, but you weren't Eva... And you are technically her grandchild. The term still felt strange to her. Alcina's other daughters had barely been referred to as such, so it felt odd to be called a grandmother.

She'd picked you up early in the morning and it was planned that you'd stay with her until tomorrow. You continued babbling to no end all the way to her hideout, making the blonde woman chuckle as she saw how energetic you were.

"And Cassi is teaching me how to draw!" You say excitedly with a skip in your step.

"Oh really?" Miranda chuckles. "Could you draw something for me?"

"Yes!" You smile and take her hand, which takes her by surprise but she holds onto your hand a little tighter nonetheless. Soon, you arrive at what you presume is her home. It looks more like the cellar of the castle, though. Miranda leads you down a series of tunnels until you get to a relatively large room. Looking around, you see a couple of tables, bookcases and tons of paperwork with all kinds of weird drawings.

"You draw too?" You ask softly, pointing to a weird picture hanging on the wall.

The blonde woman nods."Something like that. I use it to create images of my research."

"What is research?" You question with a curious look on your face. Miranda thinks for a moment, because how do you explain that to a 6 year old?

"It's... what you do when you want to know something. For example, if you want answers to a question you have." She leads you to a nearby desk and lifts you onto the stool.

"And what is your question?" You continue to ask, seemingly very interested in her work. Miranda first decides to take her golden mask off and changes herself into her regular clothes with a lab coat.

The older woman then clears her throat. "I want to bring back someone I love."

"Who?"

"My daughter."

"I thought Mama was your daughter?"

"... She is."

"And Auntie Donna?"

"Also, yes."

"So you have another daughter?"

Miranda shakes her head in amusement, a smirk playing on her lips. She looks at you for a brief moment, and then takes a seat next to you. Curious little thing you are. "I did, yes. Her name was Eva."

"That's a bo- botiful... beautiful name."

"Thank you." Miranda smiles, laughing internally at seeing you struggle to say the word 'beautiful'. "Eva was my first daughter, just like Bela is the eldest of your family."

"Oh, what happened?" You keep asking. You didn't know much about Miranda because she barely visited. She also seemed strangely awkward around you at times. Now she seemed normal, though, so this was your time to ask about her.