Chapter 3

Enos's life, from as far back as I can remember, has revolved around the land. Tilling, harvesting, and tending from the dawning to the setting of the day, and, as long as I have been able to carry a pail, I have been here to help him.

Rocks scuttle underfoot as we tread, side by side, under the waning moon.

"It is an important day, you know," he admits in a voice so low I can barely hear him. "But never for the reasons people think." I rush to match his pace, my interest evident in my steps. I know better than to question, though. My guardian speaks at his own pace, but the wisdom there has always been well worth the wait.

"Who you are can't be measured in a day, but every day is a measure." As I try to piece together how this relates to my current predicament, he begins again: "I know you are worried about what you will find out there... or what you won't find, but you need to realize that that doesn't change who you are, Kal. It's not what happens to you, but what you do with it."

"How come you don't have one?" I can't stop myself from asking. "An Incarnate." As soon as the words have left my mouth, I can tell that they are the wrong ones, but it is a question that has been plaguing me for, well.... forever. Ever since it occurred to me to wonder what The Eve might mean.

Not being one of the tribe, it has long been suspected that the ritual will not work for me. Balaiins pride themselves on attaining harmony with the eternal lifeforce and all of the beings within it. Whoever I am, whatever I am... I'm not sure I am the same.

Enos releases a labored breath. One I expect he has long been holding. In his expression, I see both relief and trepidation. He measures me momentarily before nodding.

"I think it's time I show you."