Chapter 30

With everyone's eyes on her, Mab knows that she cannot stay silent for long. Köv's reasoning is now obvious, but Mab... She could not have been in danger. Not from her own father.

"It was a very confusing time for me," she begins, already defensive. "I didn't know everything at first. I knew my father was thrilled about the Enlightenment. Everyone was overjoyed for me, for him. It was such a momentous occasion. I was finally a woman. I had hoped that some agency would come with that..."

"Our relationship is complicated. I don't spend much time with my father, really. He considers it my mother's job to raise me, and... she considers it the nanny's job. They put me off on that horrible woman. I was taken out of classes, and..." She groans. "I loved school." Teak and I exchange an incredulous glance.

"They told me I could read in my own time. I had to focus on becoming a wife now. I had to learn how to cook, how to clean, how to raise children. It was awful. And that woman. She would hit me." Mab pulls back a sleeve. Against her pallid skin, the bruises stand out like an intricate network of galaxies.

"I told my mom, and she said I deserved it. My father just laughed. He said I should get used to it."

"I knew that there were a lot of visitors. To the house, to the store. I assumed they were just traders. Father was trying for another expansion... Now all this time, I thought Köv was my intended, but he started introducing me to these peoples' sons. Leaders of other tribes. Rich and powerful people. I was confused why he would do this. One day when I asked him, he just told me that Köv wasn't going to be around for long. He said I should be grateful. He said he was looking out for my future, and I should just trust him."

"I didn't want to be married. Not to Köv or anyone else. I am fifteen! I thought I that I had years to figure this out for myself! I had hoped I would be able to talk him out of it when the time came, but everything just happened so fast!"

"When the night came for me to surrender my fawn, a part of me broke. I did everything I could. I cried, I pleaded, I screamed, I hit him. He wouldn't change his mind. My Gia-" Mab breaks into a sob looking at the animal. She strokes the deer's gentle face. "She was the only one I had that was mine. And she was so small, so fragile, then. I couldn't let him take her."

"So, I left. Not for me, but for her."

"And I knew they would come looking for me. When I heard Kari talking about leaving for another village, I leapt at the opportunity. I didn't even know Köv was there until she led us to him." Mab seems to say this last part to me. An explanation I don't deserve. I feel awful for my rash anger at her. Köv hugs her, and she allows it.

We have all been displaced by this war. One man's quest for power. How much more can he take from us and for what gain? He has ripped our village, our lives, to shreds. What use is there in holding grudges against my companions. We are all lost in this.

Now that everything is aired, I feel a unity between us. We each have our reasons, but, no matter what they are, we are in this together. Teak seems to be the first to regain his footing.

"If Elder Pashal is dead, then what will become of Balai?"

"Dager will take power."

"Well, obviously, but what about the villagers?"

"They should leave."

I think of Corsa and Enos and the twins. My fear for them has returned in droves. I get to my feet, and the sudden movement breaks the stillness.

"What about the villagers who can't leave?"

"I don't know, Kal... but what are we supposed to do?"

"We have to go back! We have to fight!"

"With what? A house cat and a raccoon? It's hopeless."

I am not willing to accept this, but I slump into my seat regardless. They have a point. I clutch the family crest above my heart. Please let them be okay until I can make it back to them.

"We won't be helpless forever. We can do something." I just have to find out what.

" I just have to find out what