Chapter 59

We pass the day restlessly, sharpening swords and practicing spells, while Mab sticks to her original intent. She refuses, even, to carry the knife I have given her. Teak accepts it unhappily, though we both know it will not go to much use in his hands.

Agan will keep her distance, bow at the ready in case we need backup. Köv, Grif, and I will flank Mab for a more immediate reaction. Corsa spreads news of our return to those who can be trusted with the information. With any luck, the citizens themselves will take up arms and come to our aid. Mab is adamant that they be on our side, in will if not in physicality. Köv just hopes for strength in numbers. Ohna will stay behind with Teak, to heal the wounded, if it comes to that.

When evening comes, we are secure in our roles, if not in our ability to carry them to fruition. Mab dresses. Even in Corsa's leftover rags, she is beautiful, and I can't help but worry that we are preparing her for the slaughter. But this is her will. She has already made it exceedingly clear that she will not be dissuaded.

We walk, dressed in black, as if ushering her to the gallows. Truly, we realize, we are. The stage, set up at the center of town, that once served for the trial, has been converted into a hangman's noose. I try to tell myself that this is nothing more than a scare tactic, a show of power, but the state of the town suggests otherwise.

If the farmhouse was ransacked, the town is worse. Buildings have been scorched. It appears as someone has attempted to disassemble the general store brick by brick. Raids have town down what the morning has barely managed to rebuild. Barricades stand ominous in the streets. There is nary an intact window in sight. Shelves have been cleared, fields plundered.

So far removed is this from the peaceful town I knew, I wonder if we have wandered into some other place. But, no. Certain landmarks remain the same. I recognize the shopfront where I browsed before the Enlightenment. The porcelain dolls are scattered and shattered. I see the café where Mab and I used to sit and study. Where we discussed poetry a lifetime ago.

Our first clue that he has arrived is a bristling of Grif's fur. He lets out a howl that is not returned by the advancing pack. The wolves draw back their red lips to reveal glistening teeth. If Grif was ever one of them, he is no longer.

Dager smirks down at us, before recognizing his daughter in our midst. The effect is instantaneous. I see a glint of desire in his calculating eyes and can only hope that this will work to our advantage.

"What is the meaning of this, Mab?" He speaks to her openly, as if the rest of us have simply ceased to exist. Our presence does not even register on his list of importance.

"You have to put a stop to this, father. I've come to talk reason into you. The man I know would never allow his people to suffer in such fashion."

"The man you knew has spoiled you. How dare you come to me, after everything, and make demands."

I can feel Mab flinch, struck by the command in her father's tone. He is scolding, and she is still a child. Certainty falters, and then she sticks out her chin.

"You've done enough. I am not a girl any more. I have grown and learned things your narrow, hate-filled mind can never imagine. I have friends. You have... minions. Do you think they love you? They will serve you only as long as you are in complete power over them."

"Well, it's good for me that I intend for that to be a long time yet." His eyes search us with a glimmer of amusement. "I see you found your boyfriend." To my immense surprise, his smirk lands on me, rather than Köv. Mab shouts to distract from the blush that has risen in her cheeks.

"Stop it!"

"Do you think he can help you? Is this what you've been doing? Traipsing all over the country while your father has been here, worried sick over you? What kind of lies has he filled your pretty, little head with?"

"None, father. I think we can all see the reality of this."

"All I can see is how outnumbered you are. And how foolish you look in that peasant's dress. Come. You look half starved. I can give you new clothes... and a bath... and a fitting meal. You'll think more clearly when you've eaten. We can discuss this in the morning." The man's eyes softened, until the promise felt almost real. He stepped toward her, hand extended, and I could see Mab's strength succumb. 

This was all she had wanted. To be seen by her father. Given her say... and here he stood, offering it. After months of hard-living on the road, what wouldn't any of us give for a break? Someone to watch over us for once? I grabbed her hand, but she brushed free.

"Would you really listen? In the morning?" Despite all of her doubts, she had to believe this was possible. This was her father. He loved her. Or he should... This was the man who was supposed to care for her, nurture her, and prize her above all else. Sure, he had made his mistakes in the past, but would he ever really hurt her? 

"Of course, love," he cooed. "I have enough to feed and clothe all of you. And then we can talk about this. There is no need for anyone to get hurt. I've been worried sick about you, Mab. All of this," Dager gestures at the ruins around us. "Has just been to find you. I have put everyone into it. Morale has not been the highest, granted, but we must have our priorities. I needed to feed the search crew. All of our food, all of our money, all of our supplies went into it. Nothing mattered except for finding you. The people resented it, but, Mab, I am your father. I would sacrifice anything, anyone, to know that you are safe. You will understand when you have children of you own... A father's love is fierce. One should never underestimate it." He seems lost in thought.

"Yes, it has been a hard few months, but now that you're back, we can call off the search. We can have a party, a feast, to celebrate your return! I think that's all this town needs is a reason to celebrate. You wouldn't deprive them of that, would you?"

Dager gestures with his outstretched hand, and Mab reaches for it.

"You can tell me what I have to do to fix this," he coaxes as his fingers close around hers. "Whatever it is, I'll do it."

Gia rears to headbutt the man, but he pulls Mab into his arms in a quick movement. Her screams pierce the air as she kicks and flails for freedom. Köv and I are after her in an instant, but the seething wolf pack presses in on us. I feel teeth sink into my arm. Yanking free, only intensifies the pain, but I force my way through the bodies, shouting for her. I surface for seconds at a time before being driven back under, trampled by surging paws, gnashed by their tearing teeth and claws.