Chapter 6

The town is alive with an air of festivity. Shops don decor and talismans of their personal affiliation. Much is invested into an Incarnate.

Certain species run in families, and it comes as a point of pride to continue the line. Incarnates can be used for hunting, foraging, or scouting, making them indispensable to the life of the tribe. Some are valuable for the sustenance that they provide in their milk or wool. Farmers can use their Incarnates to work the land. Few are cherished solely as companions.

In a way, the Incarnate the Woods bequeaths you determines your future. Will you be a warrior? An explorer? A homesteader?

How you are chosen is up for debate. Some say that your Incarnate is not an animal, but the distilled essence of your soul imprinted upon another living being. Some say it is your destiny. Some say it's pure chance. Maybe all three are right.

Elder Pashal, the tacit leader of our tribe, has been honored with a great, grey wolf. Pashal's family has been woven into the strands of our society for generations, and their wolves are a recognized and revered symbol in town. His grandson, Köv is due for his Enlightenment alongside me tonight. The expectation is that he will carry the family line, positioning him to one day take up the mantle borne by Elder Paschal.

I have no such expectations. It is both a blessing and a curse. Though no one has made any bets regarding my future, I worry I will still manage to disappoint.

 Though no one has made any bets regarding my future, I worry I will still manage to disappoint