Chapter 16

"What's that, Kal? A hickey from your tiny friend?" Köv is doubled over with laughter, Agan at his side looking mildly amused. I rub the sore spot on my neck and frown, not bothering to answer. I know that engaging Köv will only prolong the encounter, but he seems determined to have his say. He shoulders in front of me so that I have no chance of ignoring him.

"Agan here tells me you finally worked up the courage to talk to Mab yesterday." The sneer on his lips tells me that he knows everything. Agan watches, eyes emotionless, neither goading nor contrite. "Don't worry. I won't tell her. I think your little crush is sweet." That he doesn't even feel the need to threaten or compete only solidifies what I already know: I have no chance.

"Where's that little lizard of yours? I didn't get a good look at him earlier."

"Well, there wasn't much to see," Agan admits. Köv laughs, though this doesn't appear to be a joke. Agan is merely stating a fact, and all three of us know it. Somehow this makes it more demeaning.

It is then that Köv looks in earnest. The wolf pup sniffs at my shoes and bares his teeth. It seems none of us know where my lizard has absconded. I search my oversized clothes and find no evidence of him. My Incarnate has abandoned me.

I am about to drop to my knees in search when Agan's hawk spreads its wings. The bird snatches something off of the ground, and I feel it like the piercing of a half dozen knives through my sides. From the talons' clutch, I see my Incarnate drop into Agan's open palm, and my stomach plummets. I reach for him, but Köv stops me.

He takes the thing in his meaty palms and examines it closely. Fear wrenches me. Would he crush it? Surely not even Köv is that evil. His hands, however, are coming together as if in slow motion, and there is nothing I can do to stop it. One finger presses down on my lizard's fragile head, pinning it.

"Nasty little thing," he observes and appears ready to dismiss us, when the reptile rears. In one quick motion, it bites his finger, and Köv flings it to the ground. Though winded, I seize the opportunity to reclaim the tiny body and bury it in the safety of my garments.

"Suits you," Köv scoffs in parting. I hold my breath until he leaves, even as the lizard (clearly unaware of his size) hisses right back at him.

 I hold my breath until he leaves, even as the lizard (clearly unaware of his size) hisses right back at him